VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-28-2018, 08:35 PM

Default Almost rv14 seat mod on a tip up.

I installed the almost rv14 seat mod in my rv6 tip up, but instead of using a second lock bar, I used a teleflex cable. It locks up tight and works perfect. Flight tested to Vne with no canopy movement at all. The biggest hurdle was the initial taking a sawsall to your airplane. The room gained was unbelievable. If you have been considering the seat mod, i would highly recommend it.

Hank

Catto 3-blade gen 3
Smoke system
Glass panel
Autopilot
Flightline Interior
Almost rv14 seat mod

Last edited by titanhank : 08-30-2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanhank View Post
I installed the almost rv14 seat mod in my rv6 tip up, but instead of using a second lock bar, I used a teleflex cable. It locks up tight and works perfect. Flight tested to Vne with no canopy movement at all. The biggest hurdle was the initial taking a sawsall to your airplane. The room gained was unbelievable. If you have been considering the seat mod, i would highly recommend it.

Hank

A good idea with the cable. Avoiding the tube through the flap motor housing is a big plus as it enables the use of the alternative flap motor (the one with built on position indicator).
http://www.mykitlog.com/N741BN
Old 09-07-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilberg View Post
A good idea with the cable. Avoiding the tube through the flap motor housing is a big plus as it enables the use of the alternative flap motor (the one with built on position indicator).

I keep the plane in manvel, tx near sugarland. Come down and check it out someday.

Hank
Catto 3-blade gen 3
Smoke system
Glass panel
Autopilot
Flightline Interior
Almost rv14 seat mod
Old 09-07-2018, 04:20 PM

I will, maybe very soon.

I have yet to install my rear window, so I have good access from both sides of the bulkhead and your mod looks very neat.
http://www.mykitlog.com/N741BN
Old 09-07-2018, 06:49 PM

How much closer is your head to the roll bar on the canopy with that mod? From where the seat back is in your photo, I suspect I would bump it while wearing my helmet...
Old 09-07-2018, 08:40 PM

You might bump your head with a helmet. I wear a bose a20 and don’t bump at all. I am also 6’1” tall and had to move the seat back forward two inches to be able to see while taxing. I am working on a prototype electric seat adjuster to be able to sit upright while taxing, takeoff and landing and lean way back for cruise. It is super comfortable all the way back, just can’t see to taxi with the canopy latched open. I suspect this would not be an issue with a tri gear airplane sitting nearly level. The tailwheel -6, with the very low canopy and high angle of attack, makes it much more difficult to see out of unless you are sitting directly upright. The position is not comfortable at all after 20 minutes or ao.
Catto 3-blade gen 3
Smoke system
Glass panel
Autopilot
Flightline Interior
Almost rv14 seat mod
Old 09-16-2018, 03:42 AM

Default Really nice solution

I was just writing to Anti Splat Aero that it's a nice upgrade, but not doable on my 6A Tip-Up because of the canopy locking rod that goes through the aircraft an that my backrest just would lean on this when I move the bar. Your solution is great - and I just might do it. I am 6,1 too and would really like those extra inches distance to the panel...
Thanks for sharing - hope I can contact you if I have additional questions ?

regards
Per Andersen
OY-IPA (RV-6A)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Old 09-16-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAN-DENMARK View Post
I was just writing to Anti Splat Aero that it's a nice upgrade, but not doable on my 6A Tip-Up because of the canopy locking rod that goes through the aircraft an that my backrest just would lean on this when I move the bar. Your solution is great - and I just might do it. I am 6,1 too and would really like those extra inches distance to the panel...

regards
Per Andersen
OY-IPA (RV-6A)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Did you see the instruction download on the antisplat site for doing this on a tip up? The bar you are talking about gets moved so it doesn't interfere with the seat. Is the 6 mechanism different than my 9 because after moving the bar and following those instructions my seats don't contact the bar?
Dues paid Dec 18
Old 09-16-2018, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAN-DENMARK View Post

regards
Per Andersen
OY-IPA (RV-6A)
Copenhagen, Denmark

The second lock bar system on antisplats website works, but i did not want to crawl under it for maintenance. The cable works great. I sent the pictures and info to antisplat. Hopefully they will include the cable option on their website. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.
Catto 3-blade gen 3
Smoke system
Glass panel
Autopilot
Flightline Interior
Almost rv14 seat mod