What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Changing rudder pedal position

Docbru

Hi folks,

I am looking at buying a used 8. The rudder pedals on the one I'm looking at are much too far aft for my leg length and I'm wondering how big a job it would be to move them forward. Best guess is they would need to be moved about 4-5 inches forward. (This 8 does not have the adjustable pedal option.) Thanks for your input.

As far as I know, all 8s have adjustable rudder pedals. Some are in-flight adjustable and some are not.

I would estimate 2 hours to make adjustments to the ground only adjustable rudder pedals.

One thing to check is if there are individual reservoirs on the master cylinders. That is a popular mod as it eliminates a potential source of fluid leaking.

If so, then you could find that moving the pedals forward allows them to interfere with the firewall obstructing the rudder travel.

The solution to that would be to have a single reservoir mounted on the firewall, which is the standard arrangement. Other than that it's a straight forward job that should take less than an hour.

My 8 has ground adjustable pedals.. I would prefer as far forward as possible but the last position has the pedals hitting the firewall at full travel leaving no room for brake application in this position.. How have you guys resolved this issue?

My 8 has ground adjustable pedals.. I would prefer as far forward as possible but the last position has the pedals hitting the firewall at full travel leaving no room for brake application in this position.. How have you guys resolved this issue?

Have you tried shortening the rudder cables by adjusting the nut on the firewall rudder cable anchor?

Carl

I haven't.. I just installed the links to move the pedals forward. At this point, I barely fit in the airplane (6'5" tall, 275 pounds). I've ordered the tall pilot option and will be moving the seat back about 1.5" soon.. The forward most position on the ground adjustable pedals would give me more room for sure. I'm told this is a known issue with the RV-8 ground adjustable setup..

I use my ground adjustable pedals in the full forward position. The pedal hit the firewall if you had full rudder and full brake at the same time before I put the brake fluid in, but haven't since. The resistance from the brake keeps it just barely clear.

Regarding the op, it is pretty easy to move the ground adjustable back, maybe 1/2 hour or so. Much easier if you take the forward baggage compartment shelf out and do it through the baggage door.

Ditto.

As above, we do most all of our adjustments and service from the front baggage well. We have air adjustable ruder peddles but it does not matter that much for service, just unscrew the bottom floor of the baggage compartment and you have it all right in front of you. As far as the peddles hitting the fire wall while adjusted to the front, both systems do that and we just get used to not setting them where they will come in contact with the fire wall. I have seen a few with a stop on the slider type, but you will find that you will mark the location that is as far forward as you can go for the ground adjustable type as you will need, once you get into the peddle well and look at that travel.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Thanks for all the help folks. I had a chance to inspect the 8 I'm looking at a little closer today. It appears I can move the pedals 2 slots forward from their present location which will give me about 10 cm more legroom...should be about right. Haven't actually pulled the floor of the baggage compartment yet but the task does not seem too onerous. Judging by the quick and expert responses here I see why VAF is such a valuable resource for the RV community. Thanks again from a hopefully-soon-to-be-fellow RV-er.

I took possession of the plane yesterday and we dove right into it. The rudder position change took 35 minutes start to finish...not bad. Hope to be flying it soon once the annual condition inspection is complete.
Again, thanks for your help.

Back