What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Builder Here...

Snoho3

Well Known Member
Greetings,

I've just completed the tail for my -9A and am waiting for my wings to arrive. This site has been invaluable. Thanks to all.

It would also be a huge help if there were some local builders of RV's (any model!) that wouldn't mind if I paid them a shop visit. Happy to help pound rivets or anything else. Just seeing another project and being able to ask a few questions in real-time would be great.

I'm currently scratching my head over what type of racks to build for my QB wings, due in about a month. Or does anyone have any that they no longer need? Looking in the archives, the only related posts I can find relate to non-QB set-ups.

I'm located in Snohomish, Washington (S43). Yes, I've made contact with the local EAA chapter. If you are in the area and willing to show me your project that would be great. Thanks and I look forward to learning more from this site!

Welcome

Welcome Lars.
The Vans wing cradle works just fine. It's in the plans set.
I believe the QB wings need bottom skins riveted so that may impact your design.
feel free to browse my blog. My wings were SB so they stayed in the jig till the bottom skins were done.

I built a cradle like the plan at http://lrosen.nerv10.com/Construct/WingStand/index.html for my QB -9A. You'll have the outboard bottom skins left to prepare and rivet, along with a few brackets to put together and attach. I found that I was able to work with that wing cradle quite nicely - I haven't riveted the skins yet, but all the drilling etc worked well. I made my carpet loops a little too long and the leading edge of the outboard bottom skin was blocked by the carpet and a bit hard to work with, if you build it so the carpeted end is just below your spar, it will work better.

Thanks for the welcome and the tips. Especially like the pics in the builders log. Very much looking forward to seeing the wings show up! The shop is looking pretty empty, but I guess the down time can be used doing a little studying and research. Not to mention organizing.

I guess the down time can be used doing a little studying and research. Not to mention organizing.

Yes, excellent use of time. For instance, 5 minutes here and 5 minutes there can add up to days in, say, searching for hardware. I dumped all my -3A bolts in one big bin, and finding the right length can be a bit of a chore!

Working on a -9 down in Maple Valley. Just got my wings delivered a couple days ago. Have to say, you're a bit ahead of me build wise... Still need to finish up the left elevator and trim tab.

Don't think I can be a whole lot more help than some of the other guys around... However, we are going to be at similar stages along the build, so we could probably help each other out with a lot of the different ideas that might come up.

If you're ever down my way, let me know. You're always welcome to stop in and say hi!

If you ever need an extra hand let me know. I am literally minutes away from you. I have experience building other kits. Just not an RV yet.

Back