What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Move and Wing Day

Bayou Bert

Well Known Member
I have been guilty of not posting progress of my 9A build. The past few
weeks have seen major milestones and turned me upside down. I followed the advise of all and completed all possible at the house. I temp closed in my
30X30 carport for the build. We had a family move to L38 (Louisiana Regional), 10 miles down I-10. The week after the move the contractor came back and
gave us the carport back. Really messed me up not being able to step out the back door and touch, work etc on the plane.
Shot on arrival at airport and hanger.

I then spent a couple of weeks getting ready for Wing Day. The plan was
to do the first install with pins to do fairing work, fuel attach bracket, hook up ailerons and get a stick height, fuel hook up check out etc.
Here's a shot of moving the a wing in place and all the great people that
came to make it happen. You simply can't build an airplane without the help of other fantastic people.

The day went great and all the specs were met with no problems. I finally was able to get some sleep Saturday night for the first time in awhile.
Final shot of the my plane, looking like a plane with wings.

I can't say enough about all the people that have made this project a pleasure to build. The fellow pilots that helped Saturday just re-enforce
the great people in general aviation and especially the Vans circle.

Next, finish work generated from Saturday, then final wing install and
then final calibrations, first engine start and hopefully a successful inspection.

Moving is a big milestone. You are really close now. Yes, the build will slow down, but at this point it is better to really take your time and make sure everything is ready for the first flight.

Big Box?

Bert, Just wondering about the big box around the main wheels on your trailer. Did you slide the plane onto the trailer bed sideways?

Looking forward to seeing your bird.

John

Last edited:
I have been guilty of not posting progress of my 9A build.

Wing7_zpsgkkjriyd.jpg
[/URL]

With such a great progress you are excused :D

Thanks

Thanks everyone, the last two weeks have been a blast!
John, the trailer had sliding ramps we could make real wide.
So we left the box off, rolled up the ramp, then one tire inside fender and one
on the fender, went forward until nose wheel cleared where box needed to
go. Dropped box in place with back off and deck screwed down, and rolled
into box. Small box for nose wheel, back and top put on big box, straps
and done. Center to center on mains was same as width of trailer, so the
box. Rides great.

Back