What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Step backing plate?

Av8torTom

Well Known Member
Sorry, more questions...

I just fitted and drilled the step. Has anyone put a backing plate behind the step in the inside or is that just overkill?

Step

I would consider some modification to the steps to prevent cracking. Personally, I'm not quite there but plan to do something like weld a gusset.

Step

Tom. Use epoxy primer on these! Also try to
Get the primer on the inside as well. Self etching
Primer out of a can will not cut it in this case.

Chrome it!!!

well, that's another can of worms I guess.
Some guys are bolting them on, so they are simpler to replace if or when they crack. Not pretty, but.........
I can see why you'd want a backing plate inside, but so far, that doesn't seem to be the failure point of the steps.
Personally, to avoid excessive tugging on the prop, nosegear, tailhook etc.....I do a fair bit of pushing and pulling on the steps, so I'm sure I would benefit from this being beefed up a bit.

one more point, I find that the stress on the steps is MUCH less if I use a low stool/box on the ground when possible.
If you watch the average guy mount his RV, you'll see a pretty good jolt to the step when you launch your weight from ground level up to the wingwalk. Starting from an 8" step, so you are only lifting your weight another 12" or so, really reduces this ''G'-load! :rolleyes:
Just my $.02

one more point, I find that the stress on the steps is MUCH less if I use a low stool/box on the ground when possible.
If you watch the average guy mount his RV, you'll see a pretty good jolt to the step when you launch your weight from ground level up to the wingwalk. Starting from an 8" step, so you are only lifting your weight another 12" or so, really reduces this ''G'-load! :rolleyes:
Just my $.02

I instruct all my passengers to exit and step off the wing backward. It is much more controlled that way as stepping forward one simply falls on the step and it is much bigger impact. It?s been 500 hours and I am keeping my fingers cross, let?s hope I have not jinx it here.

I installed backing plates for my steps when I installed them. I also used proseal on both mating surfaces.

As mentioned, not a failure point. I think it is overkill.

I used counter sunk rivets but I also used proseal between the step and skin. Have seen a lot of installations at Kosh with rust running down the skin under the step. Prime and paint the step mounting surface first.

I think bolting the step on is admitting failure. However, with the failure rates experianced, not a bad idea. If I was mounting the step today, I would make the modifications to the tube/plate weld area. This is where all the failures have occured. Then mount it exactly the way I did.

So far, two years and about 150 hrs. Not long enough to tell if it is going to fall off or not!

Has anyone put sand or lead shot inside their step?
If so, I'd like to see a description of exactly how it was added.

Step Dampening

I have read a lot here about steps cracking and the potential role that engine vibration and prop wash has as the cause. It was suggested to add some sand or shot inside the step to act as a vibration damper. I decided to go ahead and add some bird shot to the inside of my step. Below is a picture of the hole I drilled for adding the shot.

The next photo is of the MIG welded closed hole, and some of the left over bird shot to give you an idea of what I used.

Will probably have to wait several years before I have a pirep, but it was simple enough to do.
T.

Last edited:
You're on the right track...

Tom,
That is about what I did, but I used sand to half-fill the horizontal tube, and closed the hole in the end plate with a #12 screw. 75 hours and counting...
- Roger

I have read a lot here about steps cracking and the potential role that engine vibration and prop wash has as the cause. It was suggested to add some sand or shot inside the step to act as a vibration damper. I decided to go ahead and add some bird shot to the inside of my step. Below is a picture of the hole I drilled for adding the shot.

Will probably have to wait several years before I have a pirep, but it was simple enough to do.
T.

Do you have any leftovers? :D

Back