What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ALT clearance at cowling

BABALU

Well Known Member
Is it a common problem to have an issue with clearance between the lower cowl and the Alternator? If so what's the best way to achieve proper clearance.

It is common. One solution is to remove the fan if it is still installed.

And obviously use the shortest belt possible.

Thanks I will have go take a look at that. I have the cowl off now getting repaired and painted trying to fix the bugger the that the builder put there trying to accommodate . Im sure I couldn't have done much better but I can't stand looking at at.

Mel , we are going to return the cowl to its original shape and do as you suggested and remove the fan . Is there a specific alternator that fits better than most ? The one I have is a Mitsubishi . I have no problem spending money to make things right so I would buy another if there was a better option. Maybe a B& C?

This is the first I've heard about removing the fan - how do you keep the diode pack and windings cool, with a blast tube? I'm just a few weeks away from fitting my cowl so this has my attention now.

This is the first I've heard about removing the fan - how do you keep the diode pack and windings cool, with a blast tube? I'm just a few weeks away from fitting my cowl so this has my attention now.

Yes, one should include a blast tube. We've been removing the fans for many years. Since most of our alternators are running backwards from their original use, the fan is not all that efficient anyway.

Problem resolved

Well I removed the stupid looking bump and repaired the lower cowling to like new status and followed up with a professional paint job and it looks great. It's baffling to me why someone would proceed to install a sub par ,cheapo auto alternator that doesn't fit and then put a bump in the cowling to make it fit when all you have to do is buy the proper ( non thrifty ) alternator designed for aircraft( B&C ) that fits perfectly with no modification.
Hey guys , it's cheaper to spend the money and do it right the first time.

Back