What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

food grade anti seize

SgtZim

Well Known Member
Anyone use this goop? I found the Lycoming manual calls for this when you install a new oil filter. My shelf of various lubes, gasket material, thread sealants.... is getting pretty extensive and not sure if this is another thing I have to have?

Yup - I have a can of it that will most likely last my lifetime. Not very expensive - you can find it quickly on the internet, a Loctite product if I recall. Lyconign specifies a number of lubricating and sealing products, and I finally decided that while it might seem silly to use what the factory recommends, in them overall scheme of things (cost of an engine), using what they suggest is pretty cheap.

I think they told us at Lycoming school the "why" of the food-grade product, but for the life of me, I don't remember.

Foodgrade

Paul I heard its for those long days at the hangar and you need something for your sandwich! :D

Food grade

I have a bottle of it for the lube they call for on the stretch rod bolts on angle valve engines.
Bob

Never heard it specified for the oil filter, but there is an SI that calls for it now on the case bolts, maybe con rod bolts also but I don?t recall.
Tim Andres

I'm just spitballing here, but might it be because something food-grade would be known not to have any chemicals incompatible with the rubber seals?

Food Grade

Its also called for by the manual for the Camshaft Gear Bolt. I bought mine off of amazon. one bottle is sure to last quite a few years.

I think they told us at Lycoming school the "why" of the food-grade product, but for the life of me, I don't remember.

This food grade anti-seize compound is metal free, so any getting into the engine would not affect oil samples looking for trace metals.

Steve

This food grade anti-seize compound is metal free, so any getting into the engine would not affect oil samples looking for trace metals.

Steve

There you go, I?m sure that?s correct. I?m following high copper reports on my recently assembled engine, I?m pretty sure it?s from the ?Copper coat? gasket cement I used. Won?t do that again.
Tim Andres

Is this Loctite 1167237 White LB 8014 Food Grade Anti-Seize Lubricant ? If so, it is available on Amazon for $16.18.

The new Tempest "spin-ez" filters don't require any lube on the oil filter gaskets. They are pre-treated with something. Previously I was using some Dow Corning DC4 dielectric silicon on the filters.

Copper

There you go, I’m sure that’s correct. I’m following high copper reports on my recently assembled engine, I’m pretty sure it’s from the “Copper coat” gasket cement I used. Won’t do that again.
Tim Andres

Are you using Aeroshell oil?

Skylor

Back