- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-06-2018, 10:15 AM

Default WTB: Vac Pump Cover?

Anyone have a vac pump cover?

Thanks,
D
Old 08-07-2018, 05:28 PM

Made mine out of 2.5x2.5" 1/4" aluminum. There isn't pressure in the accessory case so it will work just fine with the standard gasket. Cost me free instead of the 60$ for the lycoming part.
Old 08-07-2018, 06:03 PM

If you are talking about a block off plate I have one. They are easily fabricated but I know a guy at work who runs the cnc router and he works for cheap if he has the time . I had him make me two from 1/4 6061 and slightly rout out the back for that tiny bit of weight savings. I only needed one, if this is what you need you can have it. I even alodined it so its pretty.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binder View Post
Made mine out of 2.5x2.5" 1/4" aluminum. There isn't pressure in the accessory case so it will work just fine with the standard gasket. Cost me free instead of the 60$ for the lycoming part.
It does have to seal against oil pressure. There is a galley which feeds the bearing in the vacuum pump base, or at least there is one on my O-360.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:57 PM

Default Cover Plate

Jibby212, if dmat does not take your extra block off plate, I could use it.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:44 PM

I will take it jibby! Thanks!
Old 08-07-2018, 08:46 PM

PM sent jibby, thanks again!

D
Old 08-08-2018, 07:38 AM

Default Vacuum cover

If anyone has a extra one available, I need one.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:56 AM

Just made one myself last week for $4 in 1/4" aluminum barstock. The manufactured ones have a circular recess in the middle, which seems to be a relief to accommodate the gear protrusion. My plan is to remove the gear and gear housing altogether and put a flat plate to cover the entire area. I don't believe any special recess is then required. (Just make sure to remove the gear housing if you remove the gear, otherwise you will introduce an internal oil leak that will reduce useful oil pressure).
Old 08-08-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-red View Post
Just made one myself last week for $4 in 1/4" aluminum barstock. The manufactured ones have a circular recess in the middle, which seems to be a relief to accommodate the gear protrusion. My plan is to remove the gear and gear housing altogether and put a flat plate to cover the entire area. I don't believe any special recess is then required. (Just make sure to remove the gear housing if you remove the gear, otherwise you will introduce an internal oil leak that will reduce useful oil pressure).
For my Lycoming 0-290 (which uses the same O-320 accessory housing) I removed the vacuum system entirely. I removed the vacuum pump drive gear, the square gear housing and the studs. I then installed the Lycoming plate with the circular recess using hex bolts instead of studs and nuts. I figured removing the gear would remove some minuscule amount of drag on the engine, and weight. It also provides some extra clearance in the area.

At the same time, I installed a new digital engine oil pressure/temp gauge. My oil pressure is lower than I'd like when hot (like around 40 psi), so your statement about the reduced oil pressure has me wondering. My prior oil pressure gauge (analog Westach) may or may not have been accurate but I think it used to read around 60 psi, although I didn't have much time with it before changing things out. Maybe I just need to bump up the pressure via thicker washers against the relief valve spring? Or... should I reinstall the housing and gear with the Lycoming plate? Thoughts?