VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-04-2018, 05:50 PM

Default Berringer Nosewheel Maintenance

I have a berringer nose wheel on my RV10. I'm doing my first annual. Anybody know if there is any special maintenance task or special inspections necessary on this nose wheel? I've searched through the Berringer documentation and don't see anything. So is there anything to do beyond the obvious, i.e., Axle bolt torque, check for tire wear, check psi? These wheels have sealed bearings so I don't believe repacking with grease is necessary, correct?
RV-10 Build Log
Old 08-07-2018, 08:09 AM

Not that I have anything to add to your question, other than as far as I understand you just want to check the bearings to make sure they still feel smooth, but they are not serviceable.

I am curious as well if anyone has had to replace there bearings and if so how much time they had on them? I had posted this same question about a month ago and no one had any input.

Lynn
Old 08-07-2018, 11:24 AM

Around 900 hours on my RV-7A Beringer nosewheel, no issues to report.

Noah F, RV-7A

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men… for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. -T.E. Lawrence
Old 08-07-2018, 08:08 PM

4 years and no maintenance so far. Although one time I attempted to purchase the spare parts to have on hand in the event I need to change out the tire and recall it was difficult to source the parts from aircraft spruce. Even they couldn’t say exactly what was needed or provide the part numbers for purchase. I recall thinking the heck with it, i’d Just buy a whole new wheel and tire when the time comes. At a minimum I recall a new O-Ring is required when reassembling the two wheel halves.
RV-9A #92103 - N803DK
G3X, Superior XO-320, Dual Pmags, Catto 3B
www.mykitlog.com/dbro172/

RV-8 #83565 - N184DK - building
1968 Mooney M20C - Sold
1956 C-182 - Sold