VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 08-01-2018, 12:11 PM

Default RV 10 question

My kit came without a fair amount of the finish kit components. One item I need soon is the elastomers that are sandwiched in the nose gear mount, J-11968-14.

The plans seem to depict 4 units in a stack with some associated shims/washers. The mothership lists them as

GEAR ELASTOMER -10
EA J-11968-14

$138.00

As packaged, do I need one of these, or four?

On a somewhat related note, Van's doesn't seem to sell a right-sided wire cover plate equivalent to the F-10110-L. Can this part be made to work on the right side if I decide I want two?

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 08-01-2018, 12:36 PM

I believe four of them were shipped with my kit, but will need to double check. The ladies in the kit dept can look up the BOM to confirm.

I also wanted a wire cover for the right. They are assymetrical so the left won't work. Please let me know if you figure out an option for this.

Larry
Old 08-01-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
My kit came without a fair amount of the finish kit components. One item I need soon is the elastomers that are sandwiched in the nose gear mount, J-11968-14.

The plans seem to depict 4 units in a stack with some associated shims/washers. The mothership lists them as

GEAR ELASTOMER -10
EA J-11968-14

$138.00

As packaged, do I need one of these, or four?

On a somewhat related note, Van's doesn't seem to sell a right-sided wire cover plate equivalent to the F-10110-L. Can this part be made to work on the right side if I decide I want two?
It's probably worth a call or email to confirm the quantity in that sku. You'll need four. Also, check out the service bulletin for some extra parts that you may not have depending on the age of your motor mount.

I can't answer your wire cover question. I attempted to look up that number in my copy of the plans, but couldn't find it. The wire cover that I assumed your were talking about had a different number. It's amazing how quickly you forgot all that stuff you had memorized while building after you are flying. But that's probably a good thing..........
Old 08-01-2018, 01:26 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post

I can't answer your wire cover question. I attempted to look up that number in my copy of the plans, but couldn't find it. The wire cover that I assumed your were talking about had a different number. It's amazing how quickly you forgot all that stuff you had memorized while building after you are flying. But that's probably a good thing..........
If you are using the Aerosport interior kit, or something similar, you won't need a wire cover on either side. The trim panel covers up the wiring.

The wiring cover is shown on OP37-6.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 08-01-2018, 04:19 PM

As Bob said, you won’t need them if you use an aftermarket front interior panel. Also, it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve called Vans and had the webmaster fix their online parts for sale lists.

If you really want them, I believe mine are laying on a shelf in the hangar.
Rv-10 TDI #40816
Fayettevile, GA

2018 VAF Donation complete
Old 08-01-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_gila View Post
If you are using the Aerosport interior kit, or something similar, you won't need a wire cover on either side. The trim panel covers up the wiring.

The wiring cover is shown on OP37-6.
When I looked, that page only shows the left and does not mention a cover for the right.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:21 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lr172 View Post
When I looked, that page only shows the left and does not mention a cover for the right.
Yes, I was answering Bob's comment that he couldn't find it on the plans...

But buy the Aerosport interior, it will look nicer and cover a lot of wiring in all of the side panels. Vans wiring cover was designed for the pretty minimalist electrical system shown in OP-37.

Last edited by az_gila : 08-01-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:29 PM

I think I will buy an aftermarket interior eventually, Gil. But not just yet. My plan is to get this thing flying in a few years in a minimalist configuration and add-to-taste from there.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - flying since '98
RV-10 - N130YD reserved - under construction

donating monthly to the VAF - thanks, Doug
Old 08-01-2018, 06:59 PM

Smile Side panels only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Boyd View Post
I think I will buy an aftermarket interior eventually, Gil. But not just yet. My plan is to get this thing flying in a few years in a minimalist configuration and add-to-taste from there.
Looking at the Aerosport parts I have it seems that just putting in only the side panels at first may actually be less construction time. They seem to fit pretty well straight out of the box.

You can put them in plain now and cover/paint/dude-em-up later...
Old 08-01-2018, 07:42 PM

I also wanted the right side cover, so called Van's. They don't make one for the right side.

So I ordered some thin aluminum sheet from ACS and made my own. Measured the left side cover provided with my kit, and then drew the mirror image with all the dimensions. Transferred these dimensions to the sheet aluminum and cut it out. Then bent to the dimensions using the edge of my workbench for the long bends and sheet metal pliers for the smaller bends. The resulting cover may not be perfect, but it fits well and isn't noticeable as being different from the left cover. Wasn't as difficult to fabricate as I thought it would be.

RV-10 Finishing Kit & FWF in-progress
2018 VAF Dues Paid