Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2018, 06:22 AM

Default Will I become a repeat offender????

For some strange reason, I have the urge to build a 10. My wife would enjoy it more and I am envious of you guys and how much stuff you can haul to Osh.

I also feel the urge to build another instrument panel

Would likely take me at least 10 years to pull it off financially.

Please talk me out of it!
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Lyc. O-360 carbed, HARTZELL BA CS Prop, Dual P-MAGs, Dual Garmin G3X Touch
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Like EAA Chapter 1494 on Facebook
Old 08-01-2018, 07:00 AM

Canít help you there, my friend. I had a big void after taking 9 years to build my 6A. Only cure was to fire up the Orear Aircraft manufacturing facility and start building my Hatz Classic.

Welcome to AA........ Aircraft Anonymous
Old 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM

I'm in the same boat, 2 new little ones in the last 2 years is giving my -7 a whole lot less utility as a travel machine. I know the smart money is to keep the -7 and join the flying club on field for a 4 seater, but flying a piper just doesn't sound as much fun as a RV. If I did it I would be shooting for a faster timeline (2-3 years), necessitating the selling of the -7 to fund the engine and avionics; even with that it would be a stretch financially.
FLYING!!! as of 7/22/10
Build Log
Old 08-01-2018, 07:15 AM

If you shared your desire a little earlier, I would have invited you to the RV-10 dinner at OSH. Shantel could have spoken with all the other spouses and it would have been a done deal before dinner was over.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odens_14 View Post
I'm in the same boat, 2 new little ones in the last 2 years is giving my -7 a whole lot less utility as a travel machine. I know the smart money is to keep the -7 and join the flying club on field for a 4 seater, but flying a piper just doesn't sound as much fun as a RV. If I did it I would be shooting for a faster timeline (2-3 years), necessitating the selling of the -7 to fund the engine and avionics; even with that it would be a stretch financially.

Yes, selling my 7 would likely have to happen as well to make it work financially. That might reduce the timeline some but I would not look forward to being without a plane for a while.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 08-01-2018, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rleffler View Post
If you shared your desire a little earlier, I would have invited you to the RV-10 dinner at OSH. Shantel could have spoken with all the other spouses and it would have been a done deal before dinner was over.
I started thinking that way last year and even took her over to Van's tent and showed her the 10 and how much more comfortable it would be and how much easier it is to get in and out of.... Did the same this year and I think she is sold on the concept, just not the finances.

She really struggles on the longer legs staying in the position a 7 puts you in. Also getting in and out is becoming more and more a problem for her.
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 08-01-2018, 07:39 AM

Be a hero with your wife - build the RV-10.

I built an 8A and flew it for 10 years, selling it after the 10 was done. She loved the 10. The first long cross country was two guys, two girls and all the luggage they wanted to take. Best trip ever. My wife and I did a series of east to west trips over the next four years - something she would never do in the 8A. On the last few trips she sat in the back with her blanket and music - she was a happy camper.

Unfortunately after four short years my wife could no longer fly with me so I got pissed off and sold the RV-10 to a guy with a fat wallet. Big mistake.

I started the current RV-8 project as a way to keep busy and I figure Iíll be flying solo anyway.

Build the RV-10 - but keep it light.
Carl
Old 08-01-2018, 07:48 AM

No help here, not even flying my RV-14 yet and I am already thinking about my next build... maybe I lack fantasy because it might very well be another 14

(Hassling my wife about her getting a PPL and I would like to do another build together with my boys, then the four of us could fly together in two planes )
RV-14 kit #140138
I have entered the 90% done, 90% left to do zone
Http://magnusrv.blogspot.se
Old 08-01-2018, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Be a hero with your wife - build the RV-10.

I built an 8A and flew it for 10 years, selling it after the 10 was done. She loved the 10. The first long cross country was two guys, two girls and all the luggage they wanted to take. Best trip ever. My wife and I did a series of east to west trips over the next four years - something she would never do in the 8A. On the last few trips she sat in the back with her blanket and music - she was a happy camper.

Unfortunately after four short years my wife could no longer fly with me so I got pissed off and sold the RV-10 to a guy with a fat wallet. Big mistake.

I started the current RV-8 project as a way to keep busy and I figure Iíll be flying solo anyway.

Build the RV-10 - but keep it light.
Carl
So you don't suggest the full interior and air conditioning? I can do without that stuff but the panel will be typical "Brantel"
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB
Track N159SB (KK4LIF)
Old 08-01-2018, 08:01 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Rv-10, N210LM.

Flying as of 12/4/2010

Phase 1 done, 2/4/2011

Sold after 240+ wonderful hours of flight.

"Flying the airplane is more important than radioing your plight to a person on the ground incapable of understanding or doing anything about it."