What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to Install the Wingtip Light Lens

Skybolt Al

Well Known Member
I did a search but didn't find anything on this. Does anyone have a good suggestion for installing the wingtip lens? I'm guessing that I should install a #6 plate nut in the top and bottom corners, stick on some weatherstripping around the perimeter, paint the lens around the perimeter to cover the weatherstrip, then screw it down with a FH screw.

Am I on the right track? Thanks.

Pretty much - I don't have any weather stripping (yet) :D, the clearance is pretty flippin' thin, you'll have to abandon the stripping idea or use something very low profile.

But yeah, you've got the basic idea. A pair of #6 screws.

0000114l.jpg

I did the same. Just the 2 corners. The only issue I had was trying to set solid rivets for the platenut. The joggle in the fiberglass tip for the plexi cover makes it really hard to get those rivets set. I ended up using some pull rivets. Eventually they will be filled and painted over.

IMG_1859-M.jpg

As I recall ....

....The two-platenut approach is what Vans recommends. I think it was outlined in the written instructions (i.e. not on the drawings). That approach worked great for me on one side but not the other. On the 2nd side I had to add a couple more platenuts, likely due to my not trimming/shaping that lens correctly.

Another option without using nutplates

Scuff the inside of the wingtip and put a blob of flox where you want the screw. After the flox cures, drill and tap the fiberglass and flox for your #6 screws.

Two screws per lens is fine.

Regards,

The only thing I'd add is to consider using #8 screws instead of #6.

If I was starting today, there would not be a #6 screw anywhere in my plane. Even using good screwdrivers, I'm getting tired of stripping #6 screws.

Jason

Back