What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shim Landing Gear Mount?

Skybolt Al

Well Known Member
My landing gear mount stands 1/16" inboard of the lower longeron. Obviously it needs a shim or am I missing something?
IMG_0001.JPG

Spar bolts in place??

Do you have a couple of spar bolts dropped into place? the 1/4" ones are good for this stage. I'd check it this way before making shims. If the spar bolts don't go in, then the ones across the top probably won't go in. If the bolts are in, there is little choice - IE replace, slot ALL holes, or shim.

Are we overthinking this?

I would have (ok, did) snugged it up, and it seated nicely. When I removed it(don't ask) it rewent back together the same way, no issues, no structure deformation by straight edge - probably means everything gave a little(like it should). Spar bolts then (make sure you clean out the powder coating) and snug them down.

Just my $0.02, worth what you paid.

Rick 90432

I think I made .063 shims on both sides. I decided they were necessary when I had the temp bolts in place and there was still a big gap.

The bolts are in.

I have two 7/16" bolts snugged down and four 1/4" bolts snugged to the spar. If I dont' use a shim, I think I'll definitely have a concave dish in the side skin when I tighten the bolts to the lower longeron and the gear mount. I'm also concerned about pre-stressing the structure.

Shim away it's not a problem. I had a 0.63 shim on one side and a 0.50 shim on the other. It you search the forums I had this same question and many others had to shim as well. I asked Vans at Sun n' Fun a few weeks ago and this is perfectly acceptable.

.063 it is then.

Both of my gear mounts are the same. An .063 shim does the trick for both of them.

And to be clear mine were 0.063 and 0.050. :)

If I was off by 1/2 an inch that would NOT be acceptable to shim!

Back