What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hendricks Door Latch

jeffwhip

Well Known Member
I was wondering if anyone out here can give me any feedback on the Hendricks door latching system. I'm trying to figure out which system I'm going to go with. I would appreciate any and all feedback.

http://www.hendricksmfg.com/

Last edited:
Yep, I can recommend this flush outside door latch for the RV10. I fitted them to my plane after seeing them on a friends, I found them easy to adapt and fit as per Hendricks instructions. I made my own 1/4" X 1/2" Aluminum linkages to hook up to the Vans round door pin activation rods. Also like the internal handles they supply, when hooked up they are easy to use, with a 90* turn and simply go over centre when closed. In my finish I left the internal attachment "workings" visible, soft coverings could cover them if you wished. Sorry no pics as I haven't worked out how to attach for VAF. Give me a private if you wish and I'll give more info. Cheers from Western Australia

I can't comment on the quality or ease of installation of the Hendricks door latches but whatever you get I highly recommend the Planearound 3rd latch system. Since you are at the door stage it is the best time to look I to this. They have 2 options, the 90 degree and the 180 degree. The 180 is what I installed along with the Aerosport products handles. My doors feel very secure and I have a tremendous amount of confidence that the doors are latched when the message on the AFS screens go out ( this doesn't mean that I don't still physically check). Both of those companies are great to deal with and offer excellent support if you need it.

I installed the Hendricks latches on my RV-10. I probably would not do it again. They look good, but I find that the handle (and the offset angle that moves the primary pushrods) does not provide as much leverage as I'd like. The locking mechanism is just ok.

If I were doing it over, I'd probably pick the Aerosport door handle.

gear racks

Jeff,

If you plan on going 180 degrees make sure you don't cut your gear racks per Vans' instructions. They need to be five inches so cut your ten inch racks in half making four five inch pieces. This will save you money in the long run if you want 180 degrees. Not quite sure why Vans won't change this step in their instructions. There is no negative side of doing this except for the 1-5/8 of extra gear rack weight in the door. The positive is you can have twice the pin extension in the structure of the fuselage.

Vans sells these for $180 for two 10 inch racks. I sell for the same now because the price from my vendor went way up.

GregMac,

Could you send me some pictures of both the outside and the inside? I'd love to see what they look like.

If I were to go with the PlaneAround system:

1. Is there any way I can get a flush locking handle on the outside that works in conjunction with the PlaneAround system because I definitely like their third locking feature?

2. Is there a different inside handle that looks more elegant that the one included with the PlaneAround system that also has a button that has to be depressed in order to open it?

I went with the planearound 90 deg latch, Aerosport interior handle covers, and Aerosport external flush door handle. I added door and baggage locks that use the same ignition key. Only had a problem fitting the locks' cam to sweep across the roll pin for a correct fit. Had to weld a little to the lock arm for it to work. Am happy with the results and look though. +1 for the planearound door systems.

rvdave,

I thought the Aerosport exterior was not a flush handle? Could you send me some pictures of what your setup looks like? Thanks!

Here are some photos, you can also see more info at Aerosport products.

qoy92q.jpg

sgmkcp.jpg

akwfow.jpg

ju7exf.jpg

Back