What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slider track positioning

DragonflyAero

Well Known Member
I have read through many, many threads but am still confused on setting the proper spacing for the slider tracks. The manual talks about setting the side bows to 1/16" in from the side skins, but then I understand that the side bows move to the outside by 1/2" when the weight of the canopy is added.

If I set the tracks to the specified 40 13/16" between vertical piece as mentioned in the manual the side bows are still well inside the 1/16" from side skins.

Should the tracks just be positioned and drilled relative to the canopy decks and then the canopy frame adjusted as needed after checking measurements with the canopy on the frame?

Thanks!!!

The position of the tracks is pretty much set by the fuselage width. Trim the aft ends and clamp in place. The frame will spread when you install the canopy so my process was to clamp the plexi in place with spring clamps to take width measurements. You can't move the frame after the plexi is installed without risking a crack. It won't be perfect but a lot can be done with the side and aft skirts to get a nice fit.

The width of the Rv fuselages differs at the roll bar location because this was not accurately jigged during construction. This means that the dimensions that Van's provide are not very useful. I have found up to a one inch variance!

Ideally, you would use a hydraulic press or straps to tweak the fuse to the correct width before you attach the roll bar, but it's easier to bend the canopy frame.

At some point, if you are unlucky, you may need to cut the aft canopy frame hoops to make it fit, but even though you may consider this a traumatic experience, it can be welded or rivet back together.

Pity the poor Rocket builders who's canopy frame comes completely unwelded. This turned out to be the easiest way to get a perfect fit.... And completely without angst.

The slider fit is always a challenge... The RV-14 doesn't even allow for one.

Thanks everyone!! I will position and drill the side tracks based on the fuselage and your collective suggestions. I want to wait for warmer weather before I start cutting on the canopy but would like to get the tracks drilled before I move on to another area.

Back