What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing-fuse and flap-fuse gap

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
I looked all through the plans, but couldn't find a dimension or callout for this...anybody have a suggested side of the gap between the wing fairing strip (and the top of the flap) and the fuselage? I know you have to get that rubber channel in there, of course, so in that regard, I'm looking for a starting point that has worked well for people. For the flaps, I just want it to look good, be close, but NOT chafe the fuselage skin...

All suggestions gratefully appreciated!

Steve

Steve,

For the wing fairing and the fuselage, I used the web width of one of the washers that fit on the AN3 bolts. I forget the part number of the washer, but it's just one of the standard washers that fit on the AN3 bolts.

1. Trim the fairing just enough so you can get it screwed down without binding on the fuselage.
2. Lay the washer on the fairing and put a sharpie tip in the hole. Keep the washer flat on the Al fairing.
3. Trace the full length of the fuselage with the sharpie tip in the hole and using the washer as a bearing/guide to roll along the edge of the fuselage.
4. Trim the firing back to the sharpie line. Which should leave a gap of ~3/16" or so

I have had good success with this gap and the standard vans rubber gap seal. The gap is large enough to accept the seal, but not so large that the seal doesn't stay in place.

Let me know if this doesn't make since and I can snap a couple pictures when I'm at the hangar next.

My gap is very similar. Can't remember how I marked it before cutting. Could have been a fat marker stuffed in the corner and I just cut off the inked portion. Like I said, the gap is similar to Gregs. Any larger and you will have to glue the seal.

I made my flap gap too close

to begin with. Ended up with a mark on both sides of the fus from the flaps touching the fus in flight:mad:. My initial gap was about 1/16". Too tight. I'm at 3/32" to 1/8" now and no more touching... You can indeed get the gap too tight.

Back