What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Two antennas in same wing tip?

gnuse

Well Known Member
Started to install my APRS antenna, transmitter in my wingtip. Upon tip removal I found a Van's aluminum wingtip antenna installed. Any thoughts as to whether this might be a conflict? Should I close it up and check out the other side?

Started to install my APRS antenna, transmitter in my wingtip. Upon tip removal I found a Van's aluminum wingtip antenna installed. Any thoughts as to whether this might be a conflict? Should I close it up and check out the other side?

What is the antenna for? I'm familiar with the Bob Archer nav wingtip antenna but not sure what a Vans antenna is...

Last edited:
I believe that may be what it is, Sam. New airplane so I am guessing, but then I never did understand antenna's.:rolleyes:

I believe that may be what it is, Sam. New airplane so I am guessing, but then I never did understand antenna's.:rolleyes:

Yep, check the other side. You don't want the tracker in the same wingtip as your nav antenna...unless you never use the nav receiver.

Actually comm antennas should be vertically polarized. That second wingtip antenna is likely for a glideslope receiver.

Actually comm antennas should be vertically polarized. That second wingtip antenna is likely for a glideslope receiver.

This is an old thread but for clarification the Bob Archer wingtip com antenna, while optimized for vertical orientation, is installed with as much vertical positioning as possible, which usually isn't very much in the RV wingtips. This is why the com version of the Archer antenna doesn't work nearly as well as the nav antenna. If two of these antennae are found in a plane, one is nav and the other most likely is com.

comant towel bars

I have comant towel bars in the tips along with aprs not a problem. VOR. and aprs work great.

Back