What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ICOM A210 PTT Wiring Question

Skybolt Al

Well Known Member
The A210 wiring diagram only shows 2 leads coming off the mic jack- the shield and the mic lead. The ptt lead from the jack tip is not shown, does that mean that it is not used? I apologize if this is a stupid/obvious question.

Also, does the co-pilot ptt get wired in parallel with the pilot ptt so that when either ptt is pushed, both mics are activated at the same time? Doesn't sound right to me, but I'm a virgin at wiring a comm.

Thanks for the help.

IcomA210_0001.jpg

Are you gonna use the built in intercom or are you gonna have an external one? If external, this changes the way you want to hook this up...

If you want to use a mic with a built in PTT switch, you will need to connect pin 9 to the tip.

If you are just using the radio and its built in intercom and you want two PTT switches, yes they will have to be wired in parallel and yes, the A210 only has one PTT input so you must decide on how you want this to work. Page 25 in the manual talks about the TX Mic Select parameter.

Last edited:
PTT/ICS

No you don't use the mic tips of the mic jack for PTT. You will need separate switches for using a headset for the internal Intercom switch (ICS) and PTT (Transmit) as shown on the schematic as shown. Hope this helps.

If it was me, I would connect the tip to pin 9. No real reason not to. This would let you use a handheld mic or headset (not common these days) with a built in PTT switch. This also allows for the use of a modified portable PTT switch as well.

You will still need remote separate PTT switches since most modern headsets do not have PTT switches built into them. Your PTT's will need to be in parallel and you must decide how you want that to work. Manual page 25.

Last edited:
Back