What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Master Cyl upgrade

unitink72

Well Known Member
I have a set of the nice rudder pedals about to be shipped from Paul at Control Approach. He's asking me what master cylinders I will use, I haven't purchased my fuse kit yet.

Can't find any research out there saying that people had issues with the stock master cylinders, other than possibly adding a return spring. The only other ones I see offered are Grove.

I don't mind spending more money for a better product. Looking for some advice from the brain trust. Any reason to change from stock (which I believe is Matco)?

I believe Lancair and Cirrus use Beringer brakes. That's what I bought and will be installing this summer. They make a complete kit for the RV-10.

Ask Paul and he will give you some stock numbers (I believe they will be Grove #?s). I followed his advise on my Control pedal system and am completely satisfied (they do differ from the those provided by Van?s).

+1, about to order my pedals from him too, and he gave me a list of items to exclude from the fuselage kit.

I also asked him about Beringer vs stock, and got back some pictures of his pedals with Beringer cylinders (which I don't want to reshare without his permission, just ask him directly), so it seems to fit nicely.

Grove cylinders with Control Approach pedals

I have Grove master cylinders on the latest Control Approach retrofit pedal assembly. They are PN 673-1 & 673-2 found here http://www.groveaircraft.com/673.html You will need 2 of each. They are installed on my plane now but have never had fluid in them. I am not yet flying.

I have Grove master cylinders on the latest Control Approach retrofit pedal assembly. They are PN 673-1 & 673-2

I went the same way.

Paul says my pedals are basically done, and he now has my deposit and master cylinders in his possession. Having a little trouble now though. He says his credit card system is broken, and wants me to send a check for the remaining amount. I'm getting skittish as he already has a lot of my dough, and now wants the last of it without the protection a credit card affords.

I've heard folks who were downright mad about his delivery delays, but never questioned his honesty. I asked him in an email if an escrow service would be ok, haven't gotten a response. Did anybody else pay with a check lately?

Matco to Grove Master Cylinders?

I have had trouble with the right wheel master cylinder not returning all the way out and causing the brakes to overheat and lock up. Doesn't do it all the time but often enough. Has anyone had a similar experience and switched to the Groves with good results?

I went the same way.

Paul says my pedals are basically done, and he now has my deposit and master cylinders in his possession. Having a little trouble now though. He says his credit card system is broken, and wants me to send a check for the remaining amount. I'm getting skittish as he already has a lot of my dough, and now wants the last of it without the protection a credit card affords.

I've heard folks who were downright mad about his delivery delays, but never questioned his honesty. I asked him in an email if an escrow service would be ok, haven't gotten a response. Did anybody else pay with a check lately?

I recently paid my deposit with a check - if I understood correctly, to save him the credit card processing fees. So far I have no reason to believe that I won't get the pedals as promised.

ControlApproach

I purchased a set of pedals from Paul. There were a number of delays, but to be fair I was forewarned. Some of it expected, some of it unexpected.

Nevertheless, Paul was as honest and fair as I could expect with my transaction. I sent him a check and got rudder pedals in return.

And I do love the pedals. Very pretty. I fly a friends 6A and it has the stock pedals, and this is a very nice upgrade.

Back