What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carb/Air filter clearance

jtate747

(I am building an RV-6A. I have an O-360 out of a Mooney with 60 hours on it installed. Unfortunately, the air filter box is contacting the nose gear. There are many variables that can cause this, so I am wondering if ....
- The oil sump is deeper than normal for an RV? How deep is the normal sump?
- The Carb is taller than another standard configuration (6.5 inches from oil sump to base of carb)
- Other ideas?
Also, the engine is offset to the left about an inch, but I understand this may be normal.
Is there a shorter carb option? Smaller air filter?
The air filter box actually contacts the nose strut. I have not installed it yet.
Thanks,
John

I had the same issue when I built my -6A. I cut off the offending area from the fiberglass FAB and glassed in the area to clear the nose gear strut. I also had some issues with the bottom left side of the FAB contacting the cowling carb air inlet side and had to bevel the FAB to clear this area also.

I made a small "bump in" where the nose gear is and also made a new mounting plate that took care of the offset and moved the FAB box a little further forward.

I had a similar problem, but was able to make a new top plate and get it far enough away. Still requires that the nose gear fairing is modified.

Thanks Gentlemen,

I will probably need to do a combo of the ideas above to make it work. Just making sure I am on the right path, before I start changing proven designs. Just seemed odd to me that ?My? O-360 carb is lower than all the others ever built . . . .

Thanks!

Back