What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do you rotate your injectors?

plehrke

Well Known Member
Patron
I heard years ago that at condition inspection you should clean and inspect your fuel injectors but always put them back in the same cylinder from where they were removed. I have been trying to find were I read or heard that years ago as I am starting to question if they should be rotated.
Do you always replace in same cylinder and why OR do you rotate in pattern OR put them back in any hole?

If you know for a fact that you don't have matched-flow injectors, then I guess it makes no difference if you move them around or not. If you've done the Gami-sizing and have specific injectors for each cylinder then you obviously don't want to move them around.

Moving the injectors around helps balance the cylinders. There are basically no two injectors exactly the same. Swap the hottest EGT with the coldest EGT, etc, until you find the closest matches.. Then they stay in those cylinders. Soak them in Hoppes #9 every annual and they come out like new.

Swap the hottest EGT with the coldest EGT, etc, until you find the closest matches..

No, you do not swap them to equalize indicated EGT. You substitute restrictor diameters until they all peak at the same time. The actual EGT values don't matter.

To the OP's question...there is no reason to rotate positions.

Injector swapping

After burning a bunch of fuel, cowling and un-cowling the engine, spending a small fortune on different injector orifices from airflow performance, I would just die if someone swapped my injectors around.

I imagine if all the orifices were the same diameter it wouldn't matter.

No, you do not swap them to equalize indicated EGT. You substitute restrictor diameters until they all peak at the same time. The actual EGT values don't matter.

To the OP's question...there is no reason to rotate positions.

Hmmm, Myself and most everyone one I know, for as long as I can remember, does this to get them as even (or peak) as possible. We don't move them after we get them where we want them. No two injectors flow exactly the same. But each to their own.

I like the ability to run lean of peak, so I did the GAMI process, bought 1 injector that was .0005 larger diameter for the hottest cylinder that wouldn’t come into line after methodical swapping and got everything to peak very close to the same fuel flow. After doing this, I asked an IA about the frequency of cleaning the injectors. His response was that the old recommendation was every annual, but after Cessna had some incidents due to crud getting into the injector mounting hole during the annual cleaning, the new recommendation was to monitor EGT’s and if there is an increased EGT noted on one cylinder, clean the injector and see if that helps, otherwise don’t remove the injectors.

Has anyone else seen/heard this advice?

Regarding differing sizes of injector opening: I’m not sure the variation of when the cylinders reach peak EGT is due to variations in injector hole size or simply variations in MANY things in the cylinder having the cumulative effect of different fuel/air flows and capacities. The solution is to vary the injector nozzle size, but it is not necessarily the cause. At least that is my understanding...

To the original question: I too would never change the position of the injectors because 1: I went to a lot of trouble to get them to peak within .1 gph of each other and 2: I have a known system with known characteristics and randomly changing the injectors will render that hard gained knowledge pointless. When something in the engine changes, I’ll know it and I’ll know that changing the position of the injectors didn’t cause it.

Last edited:
I can't imagine why you would disturb something that's working fine. I believe history has shown that one likely way to have a problem where none existed previously is to take something apart and "inspect" it, just because someone thought it was a good idea. If CHTs and EGTs remain consistent, why mess with the injectors?

Don Rivera from Airflow Performance does not recommend to take them every annual and 100h inspection out. Unless you have a problem with uneven flow/temp.

I have used the term "maintenance induced maintenance". Just had this happen when working on my shower drain. Fixing the leak I caused another leak that was even harder to fix then the original.

Back to airplanes and a thread drift. This does not fit well with the annual condition inspection. I guess the philosophy is to only open maintenance panels to inspect (and lubricate) but do not disassemble things that are performing fine.

Back