What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

starting nose cowl...

Jimzim

Well Known Member
I see in the instructions Vans says that to begin the nose cowl, the engine must be mounted "without the exhaust system". My engine and exhaust are mounted now. Is there some reason I can't install the nose cowl with the exhaust system in place? I sure hate to pull it all off unless it's really necessary!!
Thanks, Jim:eek:

Cowl mounting

Van's recommends not having the exhaust mounted, it just makes it easier with less items in the way. Same thing with the prop.

try it

Looks like most of the work is from the outside, so I'll proceed. If it gets to be a problem, I'll pull it!
Thanks, Jim
paid 2013

Having the exhaust mounted on my -9A wasn't a problem when fitting the cowling. Plenty of space to maneuver.

Leave it on

I also left my exhaust on during cowl fitting. With so many other items I had to take at least one 'extra' time, I was glad to get by with the exhaust not being one of them.

I also mounted the spinner backplate with a couple temp (shorter) bolts to establish spacing, but did not mount the prop until very end.

Enjoy

+2 on having the exhaust mounted during the cowl install. The first thing installed on my engine after I hung it was the exhaust system and it stayed on. I did not necessarily install all the hanger hardware but the pipes were torqued in place. Not an issue for the cowl install in my opinion. It just did not get in the way.

good news!

Glad to hear it's not too big an issue. All the "put it together...take it apart" can wear thin!! :)
Thanks, Jim

Back