What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alt. mount

Jimzim

Well Known Member
I've searched without success, but I am trying to mount my Plane Power alternator on my 0-360 lyc. There is no mounting boss on the case, so I guess I need the mounting bracket Van's sells for this purpose(?) Anyone had experience usign this bracket? I'm reluctant to just remove the crankcase bolts and add the bracket without guidance as I don't want to cause leaks or any other issues. Any "gotchas" anyone is aware of? Also, what type of hardware is used here and for the starter mounting as it doesn't appear to be regular AN stuff? Thanks for any feedback!
Jim
(dues paid)

Case Mount

Send 'er back and get the case-mount version. Same part number but with a "/C" at the end. Or call PlanePower and purchase the case mount bracket, hardware, and instructions. You have the boss mount alternator ("/B" par number) and it sounds like there's no boss on your engine. Get the case mount and all will be well.

http://www.planepower.com/Mount_Systems.htm

Case Mount

My Narrow Deck engine is a Case Mount like you have. You will use the hardware that is in the case to mount the alternator bracket. It is Course Thread hardware on the engine not fine thread like AN hardware.

See post # 2 on two possible solutions to getting the correct bracket. I have a B&C alternator and somewhere around 2,500 hours of operation, purchased a new one from B&C when the one I had developed a crack. Why did it take 2,500 flying hours to crack, I do not know.

Back