What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin and Navworx agreement- real?

flightlogic

Well Known Member
Patron
This press release showed up on Vertical Magazine's site yesterday:
The ADS600-B is a remote mounted universal access transceiver, providing 2020 compliant ADS-B out (transmit) and ADS-B in (receive) for installation in certified aircraft. NavWorx Photo

NavWorx, Inc. has announced the company has entered a licensing agreement with Garmin enabling connectivity to the company?s GNS and GTN line of navigators. Under the agreement, NavWorx? ADS600-B will interface with existing certified position sources providing the required wide area augmentation system (WAAS) GPS to meet the Federal Aviation Administration?s (FAA?s) mandate for ADS-B equipage.

Since its inception, NavWorx has been providing ADS-B technology solutions to meet the diverse needs of aircraft owners and operators. NavWorx offers equipment designed to operate within the parameters of the FAA mandate for ADS-B.

The company recognizes that utilizing existing equipment provides an affordable path to a certified ADS-B Out solution. For many aircraft owners this includes existing installations of Garmin GNS and GTN navigators. Through the licensing agreement, NavWorx is able to offer ADS-B compliance solutions for these existing installations at an attractive price.

For aircraft operators with Garmin GNS and GTN navigators, the installation of NavWorx? ADS600-B requires only a wiring connection to the aircraft. The ADS600-B is a remote mounted universal access transceiver (UAT), providing 2020 compliant ADS-B out (transmit) and ADS-B in (receive) for installation in certified aircraft.

The ADS600-B utilizes the navigator?s existing WAAS GPS and antenna offering significant cost savings. Less equipment to purchase and lower installation costs all contribute to the savings. The ADS600-B is priced from $1,999.

Garmin?s GNS and GTN display systems are installed in many certified aircraft. With more than 100,000 produced, there?s a sizeable installed base.

However, in 2011/12, Garmin ceased production of the GNS line, namely the GNS 430W and GNS 530W. The GNS 430 and 530 models without the ?W? designation do not carry an approved GPS position source, although they are upgradeable and the company continues to support the platform.

Garmin?s GTN navigators, including 650/750 models, replaced the GNS line and include WAAS GPS.

While much has been written about meeting the FAA?s 2020 mandate, aircraft owners remain confused about the availability of solutions that minimize the cost of installation. NavWorx can assist with finding a 2020 compliant ADS-B solution for any aircraft.

The company offers UAT receivers/transceivers, Wi-Fi connectivity, transponder connectivity, plus Technical Standard Order and experimental solutions for a range of aircraft applications.

It may be true. But I wonder why navworx would pay for access to Garmin's ADSB+ format, when others have apparently just reverse engineered it.

I think the deal is not just using the gps data from the Garmin; it also lets navworx use Garmin's propriatory software to display the wx and traffic on the Garmin display.

More on Garmin and Navworx

NavWorx connects with Garmin
Agreement reduces ADS-B cost

March 31, 2016

By Jim Moore
The NavWorx ADS600-B transceiver retails for $1,900, and can now connect to Garmin navigation units. Photo courtesy of NavWorx.
The NavWorx ADS600-B transceiver retails for $1,900, and can now connect to Garmin navigation units. Photo courtesy of NavWorx.

NavWorx Inc., the Texas avionics firm that produces the NavWorx ADS600-B, a $1,900 Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast transceiver, announced March 31 a licensing deal with Garmin that will allow the ADS600-B to communicate with Garmin navigation units that are equipped with wide area augmentation system (WAAS) GPS capability. NavWorx said this would reduce the cost for many owners to comply with the Jan. 1, 2020, mandate to have ADS-B Out position reporting capability to fly in much of the National Airspace System where a Mode C transponder is currently required.

?The company recognizes that utilizing existing equipment provides an affordable path to a certified ADS-B Out solution,? NavWorx stated in a press release. ?For many aircraft owners this includes existing installations of Garmin GNS and GTN navigators. Through the licensing agreement, NavWorx is able to offer ADS-B compliance solutions for these existing installations at an attractive price.?

More than 100,000 Garmin GNS and GTN series navigation units have been produced, NavWorx noted, and many (such as the GNS 430W and GNS 530W, as well as the more recent GTN series models) provide the required high-precision WAAS GPS location capability to facilitate ADS-B mandate compliance.

The path to upgrading has proved confusing to many pilots and aircraft owners. AOPA Pilot Technical Editor Mike Collins will sort through the complex and diverse paths to compliance during daily seminars April 5 through 9 at 11 a.m. during the Sun 'n Fun International Fly-In and Expo in Lakeland, Florida.

Details

The certified ADS600-B product can now use waas Garmin GPS units as the location source. This allows certified aircraft installs to avoid the need to place a dedicated GPS antenna for the NavWorx unit and saves some install costs.

The ADS600-EXP does not have the ARINC input option so you always use its internal GPS receiver and must add a GPS antenna but a $59 small glare shield type with 15 ft cable is available. It's the one I used on the RV-12 install. We mount it next to the other GPS antenna on the FWF shelf.

Both units can send serial traffic to any device that displays TIS-A traffic but Garmin still does not share their weather formats. I wish they would...

That has been there for awhile. It only illustrates GPS input. The gotcha has been getting TIS and Wx back to display on the 650/750.

I'm anxious to see how Bill is handling the feed back to the GPS. RS-232 or ARNIC. I guess we'll find out this week.

bob

Any word out on this capability, Bob?

Sam

Sam, the install manuals are available on navworx.com if you have questions about specific interface wiring for each box.

Sam, the install manuals are available on navworx.com if you have questions about specific interface wiring for each box.

There is nothing that I could find in the Release 39 document that addresses getting either traffic or weather from the Navworx unit to a 650/750. It does detail using the 650/750 as a certified GPS source.

But to be honest, personally, I don't care. I've got traffic and weather on three large EFIS screens. I'm not intending on displaying on my little 650 screen when it is available. I'm sure that there are others with a different opinion, I just don't see the need to clutter up the 650 screen even more.

Traffic reporting

You're right, Bob. I'm looking into it for details but the quick word was that the GNS and GTN series will handle ARINC traffic in.

Neither will accept weather in. I'm told that is a Garmin proprietary format.

Back