What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 7 Top Flap Skin Question

Andy who?

I've done some searching and see that others have had top skins that where bent incorrectly from the factory. My skins (around 2 years old) seem to line up with the holes but when it's all cleco'd to the ribs and spars it gives the look of an elevator skin that's not bent enough. Has anyone else had experience with this?

Upside down ribs or spar

I've done some searching and see that others have had top skins that where bent incorrectly from the factory. My skins (around 2 years old) seem to line up with the holes but when it's all cleco'd to the ribs and spars it gives the look of an elevator skin that's not bent enough. Has anyone else had experience with this?

Did the left and right ribs and/or spar get swapped, or are these otherwise installed upside down?

Skylor
RV-8

Spars and ribs are correct. If you were to look at an end view of the flap it's about a 14-15 degree angle on the rear edge. Well my top skin comes bent at more like 30 degrees. When I fold it to the ribs it leaves the top skin with a bump like they describe for ailereron skins with not enough bend. Has anyone had to add more fold in the top skin?

page 5.10 of the preview manual shows how to complete the trailing edge bend. There might be more text in the full manual describing the whole process.
This skin probably comes this way so you can get your dimpler in to that tight area without inflicting damage.

Spars and ribs are correct. If you were to look at an end view of the flap it's about a 14-15 degree angle on the rear edge. Well my top skin comes bent at more like 30 degrees. When I fold it to the ribs it leaves the top skin with a bump like they describe for ailereron skins with not enough bend. Has anyone had to add more fold in the top skin?

Yes I had to add more fold. This is one of those "general" items, make sure all flanges and other parts are at the correct angle.

Back