What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine Induction

Berchmans

Well Known Member
How does one remove and re-install one of the induction pipes to the cyclinder on a lycoming engine? I have a 90 degree fitting to install for inverted oil on the sump and it contacts the induction pipe. In order to turn fitting it will be necessary to remove the pipe...

It's easy

It's pretty easy actually. Just loosen the hose clamps around the bottom of the intake tube where it enters the sump, and then remove both of the 1/4" bolts at the top with a 7/16" socket. You might need the socket on a swivel head for the rear top bolt, and you will want to replace the intake gasket when you re-install it.

Vic

Little different

Thanks...will get new gasket. But do I need to do anything where it enters the case as my engine does not have any hose clamps, the tube runs into the case through some kind of seal, is it a slip fit?

Sump

Sounds like you have a IO 360A style sump. Remove the fasteners at the cylinder and the pipe should pull straight out of the sump. O ring on the pipe inside the sump.

Look closely at the o-ring. Make sure it is not cracked, delaminating, or hard. They're cheap - consider replacing them whenever the tube comes off. I use a little o-ring lube on them too.

Back