What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

IO540 Power fluctuation

jfrank71

Well Known Member
I had an unusual occurrence on a three leg trip today. First leg, 140nm, all was normal. 169kts TAS cruise on 14gph at 5500; full MP, 2400 rpm. This is very normal. I usually see 169-170kts TAS at cruise with varying fuel burn based on altitude. Second leg, 150nm, 5500feet same settings but only 160kts TAS. Third leg, 190nm, same settings at 8500 feet. Here is the strange part, I was only cruising around 155kts TAS. Then it would drop down as low as 147kts TAS and go up to max of 163kts TAS. It bounced between those min/max speeds about 3 or 4 times. Engine was running smooth, no fluctuations on CHT or EGT, RPM or MP. I have talked with my close RV friends and we are thinking maybe clogged injectors or air induction leak. Any thoughts or ideas out there? Similar things happened to you? Would love some feedback.

If there was no change in engine parameters, then I would be looking at the pitot static system, and not the engine.

Ive seen speed fluctuations as high as 20kts, in cruise, smooth air, in thermal waves with the autopilot handling to the point of me not even noticing.

Ive seen speed fluctuations as high as 20kts, in cruise, smooth air, in thermal waves with the autopilot handling to the point of me not even noticing.

This. What were the winds aloft? You perfectly describe mountain wave, all be it, gentle.

With Kahuna on this. On legs 1 and 2, the TAS delta might be due to OAT differences...did you by any chance note them? If you were heavier on leg 2, that could have an impact too, heavier would cost speed. Could be a combo.

On leg 3, with no change in the engine parameters, it could have been updrafts and downdrafts, perhaps similar to mountain waves. Where were you flying?

Cheers,
Bob

I was flying in South Central Texas. COT to AQO to CLL to COT. Third leg, I took on 140lbs fuel and 475lbs cargo and passengers. Close to gross on departure third leg. On third leg, OAT between 59-61 deg F. Temps were likely lower with 11am departure for leg 1 and 1:45 departure for leg 2. and 3:15 departure for leg 3. Very low ALT setting of 29.53in. on last leg. Definitely an unusual weather day. Very clear, very windy.

Last edited:
I was flying in South Central Texas. COT to AQO to CLL to COT. Third leg, I took on 140lbs fuel and 475lbs cargo and passengers. Close to gross on departure third leg. On third leg, OAT between 59-61 deg F. Temps were likely lower with 11am departure for leg 1 and 1:45 departure for leg 2. and 3:15 departure for leg 3. Very low ALT setting of 29.53in. on last leg. Definitely an unusual weather day. Very clear, very windy.

And there you have it. Weight, Temps, Wind. A combined set of circumstances. Mostly the latter if you were getting fluctuations, and mostly the former to get the speed reductions.

And there you have it. Weight, Temps, Wind. A combined set of circumstances. Mostly the latter if you were getting fluctuations, and mostly the former to get the speed reductions.

Hey Frank, from a guy who knows nothing about your airplane I would agree with Kahuna but yank the cowlings off and check everything just to be safe.

Thanks for all of your input guys. Tonight, the cowl comes off, put eyes on everything and quick oil change while I'm down there.

Frank,

You need to analyze the engine performance if you suspect the engine in any way. CHTs, EGTs, fuel flows, etc. if none of this data changed, then it's not the engine!

Ground speeds too !

Frank,

You need to analyze the engine performance if you suspect the engine in any way. CHTs, EGTs, fuel flows, etc. if none of this data changed, then it's not the engine!

And look at your ground speeds. It will be a much larger change than the airspeed. And in sync. Enjoy your cowl off time, you never know what you will find, but look at the data for the answer to your mystery.

Good evening and Happy Thanksgiving Eve to all?
After 2 hours at the hangar with my wonderful 16 year old daughter and official cowling assistant, we pulled the cowlings off, inspected all items in question and found nothing. A few screws (valve cover gaskets and hose clamps) that needed a 1/4 turn and that was it. Performed a quick oil change, tested for leaks then off for the test flight. 30 min in the air with a Barometer setting of 30.19 and all is normal. 170kts TAS just like normal. I guess I will have to chalk this one up to a very strange weather day. Low barometric pressure coupled with some wavy air. Next time I will have a better understanding of the problem, but for now, I can sleep easy knowing my -10 is back to normal and at my beck and call to delivery me and my family anywhere our hearts desire. Thanks to all who chimed in with their input, ideas and support. VAF is truly a great place to teach and learn about the wonderful world of RV aircraft and flying in general.

Thanks again.

Back