What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

HA-6 Carb

sstine99

I'm New Here
Recently acquired an HA-6, looks to be an older model based on the mixture control. Cannot find a good manual rebuild referrence for the carb. Was overhauled in 1980 and stored since then....sooooo was planning on opening it up and at least changing the float to the new model offered by MS. Anyone have a reference on overhaul manual etc.... I am also wodering about the control arms, seems like the throttle control arm is able to be removed and position adjusted....the mixture on the other hand seems to be fixed in position. Can someone tell me on the HA6 which direction is full rich and which direction is full lean....before I get too far into making my throttle quad.

Thanks

Scott

I wonder if attaching a hose to the fuel inlet, and blowing in it while moving the mixture arm through its travel would answer your question??

That is a horizontal carb designed for a rear injection sump.

Will it even fit on a RV?

10-5092_30.jpg

Last edited:
Carb

It can also be front mounted, using an IO360A1A sump or similar, or one of the aftermarket sumps.
The aft mount sumps can be modified if there is a blank "pad" cast into the front. It involves cutting a hole in the bottom of the sump, rerouting the carb pipe, and welding back together. Some of the specialty shops used to do this, don't know if they still do.

The cost of buying a used Lycoming sump, and paying to modify it would exceed the cost of a new Superior Cold Air Induction sump.
Also, any of the after market cold air sumps will weigh less and flow better. I have a Superior version, and considered using a ROTEC TBI or an HA-6 carb, but in the end I went with Airflow Performance injection.
You can see a few pictures of it on my RV-8 thru my link under my name.
I believe the Superior sump would have better fuel distribution for a carb than the updraft Lycoming sump on my T-18.

Last edited:
The bolt pattern of the HA-6 carburetor is different then any forward FI sump mounting pattern. The HA-6 Mounting pattern will not match most forward and rearward sump mounting patterns. Make sure you have a mounting patter, on your sump that matches the carb you have. FI and HA-6 are different!

Back