What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Did Vans Give me a Used Nose Fork?

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I was just looking at my nose gear for future installation and noticed the nose fork. To me it looks like this has been used before as the axle holes have circular patterns around them both inside and outside of the fork.

Do they look like this for everyone?

WP_000884.jpg

WP_000883.jpg

Yes, mine looked the same and so did a fellow builders. I think it may be marks from a manufacturing jig

It is a highly stressed part so after it is welded it gets heat treated.
To prevent it from distorting and changing alignment while being heat treated, a cylindrical spacer and large washers are bolted at the axle location which causes the markings visible in the photos.

Gotcha, thanks for the confirmation.

Has anyone done anything with regards to corrosion resistence on this part? Anodizing? Primer? Paint?

nose fork treatment

I cleaned with MEK and then primed with a zinc phosphate. Over that I sprayed an enamel from a spray can. I have not flown yet so I do not know ultimate durability yet.

Jamie

Gotcha, thanks for the confirmation.

Has anyone done anything with regards to corrosion resistence on this part? Anodizing? Primer? Paint?

I would think the cheapest would be the best - after all, it's not going to rust away before your first Condition Inspection.

John

I wondered the same thing

fours years ago or so. Thanks for asking the question;).

If you spend enough time with Doug's "Writ of Common Wisdom", the Questions of the Universe will be answered...

regarding corrosion...

Seems like sealing with something (proseal, etc.) in the small holes is a good idea. Otherwise, water can get between the fork and the heavy center part and cause corrosion. I think I used JB Weld, as it was handy. Can't speak for the -10 version, but the others have the entire perimeter of this joint welded, so the only access for water is via these holes.

Back