What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Why are IFLY-700s for sale ?

HIIFLY

Well Known Member
:confused: I have an IFLY 700 and have used a little , but not enough to want to sell it , yet !
I have seen a # of them being sold here lately and am wondering WHY ????

What is it that makes you want to sell it ???

What do you not like about it???

Love my unit, but

they are going to introduce the iFly 720, very soon, with a brighter screen, and some other goodies -------- not giving up the iFly 700 I have, but may get the newest one for the backseat of the -8A I fly.

Ifly 700

I have one and love it. It's a great unit and they keep improving it all the time. I doubt if I will move up to the new one as this is a great bang for the buck.

It's fine if you use the vector screen to navigate with. The sectional screen can get a little washed out in bright sunlight. They sell a velcro hood that helps with that. If I flew a 10 or some other plane with a roof I wouldn't bother to upgrade. The geo referenced sectionals are really a nice feature.

Ifly700 is SOO easy to use. My friends who are pilots get to have it on their side of the cockpit panel because the lettering is so large on the Metars and Winds aloft that I can see it with ease from the pilots seat as well as the Low enroute Geo-ref charts and approach charts. If you ever get asked to be a safety pilot for a IFR pilot practicing approaches you"ll want a IFLY700 to follow along. Its great practice and you might even see the pilot PEEKING over at your IFLY700 unit. I can't wait to see whats next! They have made it so EASY for VFR pilots to use I couldn't imagine it getting any simpler to use!

9A Ron in Oregon

I had a 700 that was useless in the bubble canopy. I traded it in for the 720. the 720 is like night and day difference in cockpit visibility. I can see the 720 all the time. No issues at all with it. I am completely happy with the 720.

Does anyone like the 520, or is the 720 the way to go? Any difference in features, or just size? Would be nice if their website had a direct comparison, but I couldn't find one.

I have both the 520 and the 720 up and running on every flight. I am perfectly happy with both of the units. Here are the differences that I see:
1. The 720 is bigger, therefore easier to use
2. I don't think the 520 can display weather, whereas the 720 can.
3. The 720 may have a slightly more crisp display, but both displays are A+ in my book.

I really like them both, but if I had to pick just one, it would be the 720 because of the size and weather option. Also, don't hesitate to call them, they are very willing to discuss this with you (I called them). Also, I believe there is a 30 day money back, no questions asked, return policy. I also like their annual VFR/IFR subscription prices.

Last edited:
Probably because you can do it so much cheaper and better with other options.

A $ 200 tablet and android software for $35 per year gets you more than the Ifly can offer

Check out http://www.naviatorapp.com
And you can try it for free with all the features enabled

I personally use the iPad mini w/built in gps and foreflight software. great capability plus many other uses. Anybody using iFly and iPad? Preference?

520 vs 720

I tried the 520, but couldn't make the screen buttons work, and the screen was just too small. Sent it back to Spruce and ordered the 720 which I really like. The IFR level data is very reasonable, and I've never lost the display due to heat or cold. There's no internal battery. My next purchase is the external battery and an iLevil SW to add ADS-B and an attitude indicator to the GPS.

John

Used an ifly 700 for several years in my RV9 and really liked it. Added a SkyRadar DX ADS-B and the 700 just couldn't handle the load. After upgrading to the 720 the ADS-B works well and again I am well satisfied with the iFly720. The screen is much easier to see in a canopy plane. However I still have my 396 with XM weather subscription because I like the nexrad radar coverage you get while on the ground. ATCs equivalent seems to be a little different coverage.

Back