What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Worst Mistake Yet - RV-7 Slow build wings

704CH

Well Known Member
Ok guys, I have gotten through the empennage fairly successfully and am moving fairly quickly through the wings. Here I am trying to rivet on the Z Bracket root nutplates for an RV 7. You know the ones that attach to the underside of the spar when it is on the stand. This I found to be a pain in the rear and am looking for feedback on a mistake. My bucking bar slipped and smacked the spar web, didn?t break through the anodizing, but left a good mark. Also nicked the flange of the 2nd main rib, but am sure the rib issue isn?t significant. The part I am worried about is the main spar. Any feedback on these photos? Looking for all those who like to attack mistakes to really take a look at this one.

The thing about building a plane is it?s tough to know what is good enough. No such thing as a perfect plane, I know, but man I am frustrated and get upset with issues like this. Please look at the pictures and provide feedback.

Thanks everyone, Hey, if you want to tell me I am worried about nothing, that would be the best response I could get. -thx

Oh, don?t worry about feedback regarding ways to avoid this since I am already here. ;-) thx

http://picasaweb.google.com/RV704CH...CMeQ&pli=1&gsessionid=Ksro-qcOD9wxviaiopLNEA#

Looks ok

Chad

I'd drop an email to van's for your peace of mind but it looks ok, as long as it doesn't have sharp edges on the dent. If there are it would pay to file and sand. It's on the web rather than the spar so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Peter

PS you might want to re-do the rivet with the step in it!

Last edited:
Dangerous area

I found this area a little bit dangerous for bucking with poor access for my big hand between the wingwalk ribs, thus after trying to buck the first rivet and sweating a lot :eek:, I decided to go with MK319-BS pop rivets here. Simply drilled holes to 7/64 and no more risk for the spar to get scratched.
This is for future readers of this thread, as you've already bucked all of your platenuts rivets.

On;t thing I'd do is lightly sand the dent area and spray on a bit of primer just in case the anodize id penetrated. IMHO its not a big deal at all.

if that's the 'worst' you can do, you will have a real fine flying machine when you finish.

You going to have to get more "worst" than that to get any sympathy from this bunch.

move forward
don't look back

Not to worry!

Clean up any sharp edges with sandpaper or scotchbrite, touch up with a little primer and "build on".
Mostly it's the spar cap that carries the loads. The web is there to keep the caps in line.

Build on...

Mel is right. You (barely) dented the shear web - not a structual issue.
I was going to say the same thing that 'caryr' said :cool:

Dremel scotch brite

Sears sells a tip for a Dremel tool that has scotch brite type material on it. It would work nicely in small spaces. I use mine all the time. They wear down faster than regular scotch bite so be careful when the end gets thin, the metal shank is under there, you can see it starting to show in my picture.

2rneauv.jpg

Thanks guys, I will make sure to buff out any rough/sharp areas, prime again if needed and build on. This made me sick to my stomach when it happened, but your replies have really helped.

Thx

bucking bar building tip

:eek:I know it sounds like monday morning quarterbacking, but I find that I use towels, blankets, electrical tape or what ever other method to protect the plane parts from dents and scratches. This is especially true in the wings where there is plenty of opportunity to do damage if a bucking bar slips. It can fall quite a ways before the aluminum stops it.

Don't ask how I discovered that I should pre-plan for my clumsieness.

Back