What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any tips for using an iPad in flight?

13brv3

Well Known Member
Greetings,

On my limited space RV-3B panel, I mounted an iPad Mini 4 to use for navigation, and flight information. I'm primarily using FlyQ now, but also have a WingX subscription, and my ForeFlight year just ended, so I've tried those 3 software packages. I have two problems with using the iPad mini 4.

First problem is readability. It's a good display for a tablet, but not up to the better displays that are made for aircraft. When you couple bright sun, clear canopy, and sunglasses, it can be a little hard to see the screen, and the difference is night and day compared to the Dynon D180 next to it.

The biggest problem though is being able to actually use it with even the slightest turbulence. The buttons or symbols you have to tap are typically small, and it's so easy to hit next to the button, or be moving when you touch the screen. One picks the wrong function (that you have to try to get out of), and the other just scrolls the screen a little.

It's really frustrating to have so much good information available, but not be able to use it. Does anyone have any tips for making this easier to use? I did try changing the touch setting to require 0.1 sec touch to make it less sensitive, but I can't say that helped.

On another note, my iPad died in flight 13 days after the warranty ran out. I'm not really an Apple fan, but to their credit, they covered the replacement, and turned it around in record time. They sent a box for my dead iPad Monday, and by Thursday I had the replacement in hand. Pretty impressive!

Thanks,
Rusty

...snip...
On another note, my iPad died in flight 13 days after the warranty ran out. I'm not really an Apple fan, but to their credit, they covered the replacement, and turned it around in record time. They sent a box for my dead iPad Monday, and by Thursday I had the replacement in hand. Pretty impressive!
...snip...

Maybe you should be!

The only constructive suggestions I can offer are that there are anti-glare screen protectors that you can apply that help some with sunlight readability, and that there are different flavors of iPads, some of the more recent models do have brighter screens.
So far, I have not found that the anti-glare screen protectors help 'enough'.

I have not tried the newer brighter iPads -- the one I tried was an iPad2, a long time ago. I seem to recall that your model, the iPad mini 4, was among the better ones? (others hopefully will comment on that) So you already may have the best it is going to get. Sad, I know, its such a great tool, but for us full-canopy guys, just not bright enough.

Last edited:
I seem to recall that your model, the iPad mini 4, was among the better ones? (others hopefully will comment on that) So you already may have the best it is going to get. Sad, I know, its such a great tool, but for us full-canopy guys, just not bright enough.

You're correct, and that's one of the reasons I ended up with the Mini 4. The screen is pretty excellent, and was rated at 450 nits I believe. When the Pro 10.5 came out, I ordered one to compare, since it was rated at 600 nits. Side by side, in the sun, I couldn't tell any significant difference, and the 10.5 would have been hard to fit on the panel, so I sent it back.

If the brightness was the only issue, I could come up with some sort of sun screen for it, but using the touchscreen is a much bigger problem. It would be nice to try something like a handheld mouse, where you could position a cursor, then click a separate button as the "touch". Since that's not how these things were made to be used, it doesn't look like there's such a device out there.

Rusty

Yeah, even on a full-sized iPad, it's difficult to tap the right thing when you're bouncing around in turbulence. The only thing I can suggest is use a "tablet stylus". You could tether it to the iPad mount.

Yeah, even on a full-sized iPad, it's difficult to tap the right thing when you're bouncing around in turbulence. The only thing I can suggest is use a "tablet stylus". You could tether it to the iPad mount.

Hmmmm, that's something I hadn't thought about. I see it has to be a special capacitive type stylus, so I'll have to pick one up to try. It seems like it might have the same problem as using your finger, but it's well worth the cost to give it a shot.

Thanks,
Rusty

Alternatives

Just in case you give up on the ipad, get an ifly 740. It is so good with bubble canopy, polarized sunglasses and turbulance that I regulary second guess my decision to do G3x (overkill) on my RV4.

I?ll be the contrarian. The problems you list demonstrate that an iPad is a great flight planning tool, but nothing more that the third backup or something to play with while flying.

You best path forward it to bite the bullet and put a real EFIS in the panel.

Carl

IPAD mini 4 with FltPlanGo has been excellent in the cockpit with bubble canopy RV7A. I have it mounted using a RAM Mount on the left side so it faces my eyes pretty much straight on. I don?t have any trouble viewing it in direct sunlight or with sun glasses on.

Bevan

Don't leave/use it on your or your spouses lap if it's in the sun.

It will overheat and simply switch itself off - usually just when you need it...:)

Don't leave/use it on your or your spouses lap if it's in the sun.

It will overheat and simply switch itself off - usually just when you need it...:)

I continue to have no problems with X-Naut RAM panel mounted (now on 9.7" iPad) and was the same with iPad Mini4 on the smaller X-Naut. Both with ship's power USB for primary and internal batteries for alternate.
AZ Desert heat -

Thanks for the comments. When mine went dark last week, I initially figured it overheated, but it's never done that before. Of course I found out that wasn't what happened while staring at the eternal apple.

I have it mounted flat on the panel with a ram roller mount, where previously, I had it angled with one of the ball mounts. I do think having it not pointing straight at my face is part of the visual problem, and might even contribute to the touch problem. Unfortunate, if I angle it out at the bottom, it becomes nearly impossible to get in and out of the plane without moving it, but I might just have to try it.

Rusty

We now use iPads in the airliners. No paper. They work very well and have been reliable.

For the RV, I honestly prefer my cell phone with an external battery using ForeFlight. It?s small, but it takes up no space. My external batter sits in the space between the seats (RV7) and the phone sits on top of it. Obviously I just pick it up when I need it.

Maybe an iPhone 8 Plus or X would work for you?

Ipad in flight

For many years, I have used an ipad mounted to a ram mount ez roller on the deck beside the instrument panel in my RV-6. It gets some cooling from the air vent just below it, so no cooling issues. The one I currently use is an Ipad Pro 9.7. and the display is bright enough that I very seldom have a problem with readability. When it is turbulent enough to cause a problem with the ipad, I also have a problems with the knobs on my other avionics. It is an excellent source on flight information, ifr charts and plates, adsb traffic and weather, etc.

Properly mounted and cooled, I would rate the ipad very good to excellent.

Just my two cents worth.

The IPad mini 4 works great. While running Garmin Pilot, I get around 3 hours continuous before it flags 10 percent power remaining. It needs to be kept out of direct sun light on a hot day or it could shuts down due to overheating. I recommend having another map option as a back up, either a MFD, an IPhone loaded with your flight app, etc.

I-Pad air 2.

We use a Apple I-Pad air 2 with a screen glair plate over it. It is not as good as the G3X-touch in the panel but it is not hard to read. In the 8 I fly with it on my left knee and my old trusted knee board on my right knee. The 9.7" works best for us as it has a bigger screen and is not that hard to read or touch the place on the screen you want. This also work very well with the G3X and the GDL-39R as the units Blue tooth together and it is less work to have one screen set in the G3X and be looing at the other ADS-B streams on the I-Pad as you wish to see them along with the PFD information. The battery will last about 6-7 hours in stand alone or as most people do now just place a USB port in a place you like or install a cigarette lights port and used the adaptor you wish for anything that needs 12-14 volts.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III # 80888

Last edited:
Note that the small areas to touch/tap to get a result is not a function of the iPad! It's a function of the App being used (ForeFlight, Garmin Pilot, etc.) and the App developers who cram so much information on a screen. They need to be given constructive feedback on the issue and provide larger touch sensitive buttons and symbols on the screen. [/IMG]

Right you are of course. I've sent a number of emails to ForeFlight, but never felt like I got more than the standard "thanks for the suggestion, we'll pass it along to the developers" reply. I just sent an email to FlyQ asking them for the option to increase the button size, so we'll see how they react. Hopefully it's something they've been getting requests for, and my email will help convince them, but that may be wishful thinking.

The mini size is part of the problem I think. Full size tablets would have larger buttons, and the phone screens are so small that the developers are forced to make button size changes. The mini is sort of in the middle where you get the smallest possible buttons.

I'll be remounting the mini 4 on RAM ball mounts, which will make it more directly viewable, though harder to avoid when getting in and out of the plane. I'm also going to try a stylus to see if that helps. I may also look at the Garmin apps, since I've never tried that.

Thanks,
Rusty

Stylus

The apple "pencil" works with the new iPads, if you want a stylus type device.

I use an iPad for flying at work and it is far, far better than the previous surface tablet. I have zero issues reading it in sunlight and it works as advertised.

Using an iPad 10.5 pro...

I turned on my iPad and Stratus this morning before pulling the plane out in the sun for a preflight inspection. The darn thing shut down on me due to temperature after ten minutes! Silly me. I got in the plane, pulled my Koger Sunshade forward, started up, and opened the canopy a bit to let the breeze blow on it. I was good to go in just a couple minutes. In flight, I have a blast of cabin air blowing on the back of the iPad.

IPAD mini 4 with FltPlanGo has been excellent in the cockpit with bubble canopy RV7A. I have it mounted using a RAM Mount on the left side so it faces my eyes pretty much straight on. I don?t have any trouble viewing it in direct sunlight or with sun glasses on.

Bevan

I've got a Mini 3 set up in the same way, with an anti-glare film on the screen. It's not EFIS bright, but when it's facing me straight on its very doable, even in direct sun and with sunglasses.

If your IPAD is getting hot and/or shutting own, consider closing all unnecessary applications or turning on "airplane mode". This will also extend the run time (using less power = less heat generated) even when using ship's power.

Shielding the IPAD from the sun (sun shade) and directing some cooling air from the vent also helps. Mine is mounted on an angle using a RAM mount from the left fuselage structure above pilot's left knee. This puts it at a great viewing angle (directly facing pilot's eyes) and the vent blows on the back of IPAD and not on my microphone.

I've not had a shut down in almost 2 years of use.

Bevan

Last edited:
Just in case you give up on the ipad, get an ifly 740. It is so good with bubble canopy, polarized sunglasses and turbulance that I regulary second guess my decision to do G3x (overkill) on my RV4.

I did some checking into the Ifly 740/740b units, and this looks like a really good suggestion! It appears the 740 is being phased out for the 740b, which has the same specs except for a slight difference in the screen. The 740 was 1300 nits, and said to be a warmer color, where the 740b is 1100 and a cooler color. Otherwise I understand they're identical in function, but the 740b is considerably cheaper than the original model. The size is a good match for the space I have the iPad mini now, so that should work out.

The screen must be pressure activated, rather than capacitive, so you can use it with gloves. I'm hoping that means it will require an intentional push rather than a light touch. The buttons appear to be larger, though I'll be running it in portrait mode, so they might get a little smaller.

Another interesting thing I didn't realize is that they have an app that is supposed to work just like their GPS when used on an Android or iOS. That should mean that my Android phone can be used as a backup with the same app, so I'll be familiar with the operation if it's ever needed.

Finally, I figure I have nothing to lose trying it, since they give a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it. Ifly still has a "pre-buy", "backordered" item listed for $500, but they must be in stock because I already have a shipping notice from the order this morning. That's cheaper than the iPad was. For the local VFR kinda flying I do, I think this might be perfect for me.

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Cheers,
Rusty

Hey Rusty,

I kinda hinted at this in my earlier reply; here are a few more details.

If all you're doing is VFR and mostly local flying, with no real need for elaborate flight planning features, an old Nexus 7 (either version) for less than $100 on ebay will be as bright or likely brighter than any ipad. For software, Avare from the Google Play Store is free, with more chart/mapping features than you'll likely ever need. A bonus is that you can buy the same SDR dongle that the 'Stratux' ADSB system uses (about $20) plug it into the usb port, & with a $5 add-on app for Avare, have ADSB-in on the tablet. No pi, extra case, etc needed.

BTW, I guess you know that your old -3 found its way back to the creator of its major organs. It's now based on the same field as Tracy Crook in FL.

Charlie

Hi Charlie,

Yep, I talked to Finn last year when I was looking to buy another 3B, so I knew where it was. Glad to hear my old engine is still running well.

The Nexus is only slightly brighter than the Mini 4 iPad, so I don't really see that being any significant improvement over what I have. The screen touch and size of buttons is still the main issue though, and I'm hoping the IFly improves on both. It should be here today, so I'll find out soon.

Rusty

I have owned a mini for several years now and find it very reliable. I had an IFLY that would fail during the worse times. I had sent it back several times and finally gave up and purchased the mini. I use it in my RV-4 mounted on a lap board at an angle. The angle prevents the reflection. It will get hot really quick only when it is in direct sun light so I will lay a small white bed sheet cut to size when I am not using it. It gets tricky like all touch screen displays when it gets moderate or greater turbulence so I minimize my touching during rough air.

I don't mean to keep everyone in suspense :p I do have the Ifly 740 installed, and it looks good, though a bit smaller screen than the iPad mini 4.

I haven't had a chance to fly it yet, because I also decided to finally rework my gear leg stiffeners. I should get a chance to try it soon.

Happy 4th!
Rusty

I'm happy to report that it was a good day for testing stuff :)

The iFly 740b worked well, and interfaced seamlessly with the Stratux ADS-B receiver. I can see it much better than the iPad, and the software gives you bigger buttons, which are almost always anchored to one edge of the screen. That's important because you can plant your finger or thumb on the bezel, then roll it to the button. I found that method to work very well in turbulence today. Of course using their app on a phone or tablet could would work the same way, but there's no way I'll go back to the iPad now.

Glare could be an issue, but I was also testing a new pair of Halo headsets, which allowed me to wear my usual big floppy hat. The hat happens to be light on top, and dark on the bottom, so pointing the GPS directly at my face sees mostly dark hat in the reflection, and that cuts the glare a lot. Now if I could only do something about that pale face in the middle...

Anyway, thank for the iFly suggestion. I think this is my solution :)

Rusty

I think you will be well satisfied for VFR flying using the ifly 740b . Its a great unit and the ifly people are great to work with on any issue you may have. I've used iFly all way from the original 700 and now 740b . Using an uAvionics Echo for traffic and Wx has worked well ( navworx before that) on the 740b. Have a friend that uses a 720 for same ADSB service and also to drive his wing leveler via the serial connection.

Back