What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for Pireps on the Titan IO-370

osxuser

Well Known Member
Hi everyone, as Continental Motors slowly slogs toward certification on the 205HP version of the IO-370, I'm looking for anyone running the experimental version to give me some Pireps.

If able:
Compare to O-360/180HP lycoming as far as vibration, performance and anything else some looking to buy a few of them should know? They're really tight lipped over there at Continental for some reason.

I have about 750 hours on my Titan XIO370 engine and have been very satisfied with it. I have a Hartzell composit prop and the combination is very smooth. I switched from an angle valve Lycoming and saw virtually identical performance, maybe slightly improved because of the lighter parallel valve engine with basically same rated HP as the angle valve.
After 4 years of use and between 750-775 hours, oil consumption is about a quart every 8-9 hours and compressions still in high 70?s.
Several others who have flown my plane comment on the smoothness of the engine/prop combo.
My only gripe, and it has been there since day one is, the engine has a vented drain out of the bottom of the sump that about 20 minutes after it ALWAYS drips an oil/gas mixture. It is said to be caused by the injectors bleeding down after shutdown mixing fuel and oil. Others I have talked too also have this and Titan told me numerous times it's normal. My Lycoming never did this but I have learned to live with it. Still makes me cringe every time I walk up and see drips under my plane.
Other than that, I'm very satisfied.

My only gripe, and it has been there since day one is, the engine has a vented drain out of the bottom of the sump that about 20 minutes after it ALWAYS drips an oil/gas mixture. It is said to be caused by the injectors bleeding down after shutdown mixing fuel and oil. Others I have talked too also have this and Titan told me numerous times it's normal. My Lycoming never did this but I have learned to live with it.

It probably is bleeding off fuel pressure, and as such, it is not the fault of the engine manufacturer. It would be due to the leakage rate of the disc mixture valve in the fuel injection servo.

If you really want to eliminate it, install an AFP purge valve at the flow divider. It will direct the pressure leakdown back to the tank or a line from a tank.

And now we return to our regular programming... ;)

try before you buy...

I have a Titan IO-370 that I've been flying for about 4 years and 350 hours on my RV-7. Dual P-mags, Hartzell BA prop. It runs smoothly, sips gas in cruise, and performs very well. Prior to the Titan, I was flying behind a Subaru conversion, so it didn't take much to impress me. All my friends who already had real engines, though, seem to think the 370 was a pretty good choice.

I'm up in San Luis Obispo if you want to come fly behind it sometime.

Paul

It probably is bleeding off fuel pressure, and as such, it is not the fault of the engine manufacturer. It would be due to the leakage rate of the disc mixture valve in the fuel injection servo.

If you really want to eliminate it, install an AFP purge valve at the flow divider. It will direct the pressure leakdown back to the tank or a line from a tank.

And now we return to our regular programming... ;)

Thanks Dan. That's exactly what it is. Discussed it at length with both JB at Titan and AFP. I decided to live with it.

Back