What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What RV-8 Tires do you recommend?

Loeds

Well Known Member
We'll I finally purchased a new (to me) RV 8. It will need main wheel tires soon. I fly out of a grass strip. What tires do you all recommend? My old airplane tires dry rotted before wearing out.

Another opinion

I wasn't particularly happy with the Desser retreads I bought for my -6 a couple of years ago. The sidewalls were pretty old tired, and the tread was way thicker. They rubbed at first under my old style pants.

I will by buying new tires in a year or two when I need them for the -8.

RV-8 Tires

For years I have been using Wilkerson 5.00x5 Recaps. The tread thickness and quality is such that I get much more time out of them than standard tires. Had to initially slightly elongate the wheel pant openings. I use Goodyear anti leak tubes and go for months without needing air. About $50 a tire and you can request what casings you get with the recaps on them. Works for me for years.

Tires

Never been a recap fan , Good Year Flight Customs on mine , only a few dollars more than Monster Recaps from Desser . Two tires with tubes for about the price of a fill up of 100LL !

I've used nothing but Desser retreads for over 30 years on my airplanes - last a long time, never had a problem that I could blame on a tire.

Not a paid or reimbursed spokesman - just a satisfied customer.

On grass? Consider slightly bigger size!

If you fly on grass a lot, you will love the benefit of slightly bigger tires.
The 380-150-5 is about an inch bigger in diameter than a 500-5 and about a half inch wider.

It is also called a 15/600-5. Sometimes you see both listed with different prices, which I don't understand because they are essentially the same size.

Do a search on VAF archives for that size and you will find lots of discussion, including the minor mods to wheel pants to fit.

I find in soft dirt, sandy dirt, and on grass, they just feel so much better.

380-150

Plus one for the 380-150. I was made aware of this option during construction and fitted the wheel pants accordingly. Retrofit may require modification. But they do give extra contact surface that helps on grass.:D

Regarding the larger 380x150 tires, what tube fits those? Standard 5.00x5 or something else?

The 380x150 tires use standard 5.00x5 tubes. +1 on those tires...only a slight modification to the wheel pants.

Mark

I Second that!

I've used nothing but Desser retreads for over 30 years on my airplanes - last a long time, never had a problem that I could blame on a tire.

Not a paid or reimbursed spokesman - just a satisfied customer.

... This has been my experience exactly. They last about twice as long and are very inexpensive. Almost without exception, the flight schools all use them as well. They say "less flats and they last and last". Thanks, Allan..:D

Back