What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tinnerman question.

bret

Well Known Member
I am working on the wheel pants and the plans do not call for the Tinerman washers on the wheel pant halfs, but I do see some that have installed them. The only drawback that I can see is a deeper and wider CS. What say yee?

Tinnermans

if you're installing CS screws and don't start off with tinnermans, you will eventually end up with tinnermans. :)

After all the finishing work I did on the wheelpants, I shuddered at the thought of "cratering" the FG for all those CS screws. Like several of my RV friends, I opted for the exposed head SS screws. Given all the "appendages" on the bottom of my Nine, I can't believe the add'l drag from the SS screws is significant or worth worrying about.

I am more worried about the FG hole getting wallowed out, more than a .043 MPH increase, I see RVs taxiing and the pants are doing some kina wild tropical Hawaiian dance.:D

Is there a down side to the CS washers? Well, for me it was the stainless steel CS washer look and the Stainless steel counter sunk screws arranged in the solid white painted wheel pant. I got over that...somewhat.

Paint does not adhere well to stainless steel, so I thought I might try powder coating the washers and screws. I have not done that let, but will give it a try in the future.

I read about some guys sinking the tinnermans in the pants and epoxying them in, and glassing over top and finally CS them back to accept the screw. At least that is what I found in words. I have not seen any pictures or comments about its durability. I considered it for my spinner, but thought the curve was too much to adequately handle the sinking process in the thickness available.

Maybe some of the premium builders will chime in and show us.

Is there a down side to the CS washers? Well, for me it was the stainless steel CS washer look and the Stainless steel counter sunk screws arranged in the solid white painted wheel pant. I got over that...somewhat.

Paint does not adhere well to stainless steel, so I thought I might try powder coating the washers and screws. I have not done that let, but will give it a try in the future.

You can buy tinnermans that are not stainless and use steel plated screws and paint works great. I really don't think there is any real speed loss using button heads, but the flush look is cool. :D

Button head screws on your wheel pants?? Really? It's an RV! Why don't you just leave your wheel pants off. It won't go that much slower.....

Just kidding - weak attempt at humor...... I used the SS countersunk tinnerman washers on both airplanes I built and they are holding up well. They help protect the cs hole in the fiberglass and spread the load over a larger area, plus I think they look great.

Last edited:
Yup

if you're installing CS screws and don't start off with tinnermans, you will eventually end up with tinnermans. :)

Agreed. Especially on fiberglass where you are removing (or should remove) them often, the fiberglass will deteriorate around the hole. It also saves the paint. I put tinnermans on wheel pants but not the empennage fairing, which doesn't come off very often (but I might yet put them there also). I recently added them to the anchor holes on my wingtip light plexi covers to protect the wear on those holes.

I am more worried about the FG hole getting wallowed out, more than a .043 MPH increase, I see RVs taxiing and the pants are doing some kina wild tropical Hawaiian dance.:D

Hey Bret - don't worry too much. All three of our RV's have NO Tinnerman washers for the #6 screws that hold the front and back halves of the wheel pants together, and NONE of the holes have shown even the slightest amount of wallowing out - and that is 1700 hours and close to 8 years on the RV-8s pants.

For the four #8 screws that attach the pants to the brackets - yes, absolutely - we use the Tinnermans. They are carrying the load.

The pants on the -8 have been rebuilt a number of times due to flat tires and falling-off-the-edge-of-the-apron mishaps....but we have never had to touch the #6 screw holes - they haven't worn at all.

Paul

Hey Bret - don't worry too much. All three of our RV's have NO Tinnerman washers for the #6 screws that hold the front and back halves of the wheel pants together, and NONE of the holes have shown even the slightest amount of wallowing out - and that is 1700 hours and close to 8 years on the RV-8s pants.

For the four #8 screws that attach the pants to the brackets - yes, absolutely - we use the Tinnermans. They are carrying the load.

The pants on the -8 have been rebuilt a number of times due to flat tires and falling-off-the-edge-of-the-apron mishaps....but we have never had to touch the #6 screw holes - they haven't worn at all.

Paul

Good point, as usual. Being a newbie, I put tinnermans on all the wheel pant screws. Didn't hurt, but the #8s are certainly the most important.

Does anyone think it is needed to glass in some aluminum on the inside where the pants mount? It just seems so flimsy to stay on at speed, I know there are thousands of these things flying, I just hate to do do overs. Bret.

Back