What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Engine?

jpm

I am @ the engine decision phase in an RV-6 project. I have decided on an IO-360. In a conversation with the engine shop I will be dealing with, they suggested considering a IO-375, same as the 360 but with a stroker crank. It would have 205 hp. What do you think in a 6? Too much?

Prop

Will you be using a metal fixed pitch prop, Catto, or constant speed prop? Some props may not be happy with certain engine hp and such.

I say go for the 375. you can always pull the the power back, not the other way around. But I like HP!

ECi IO-370

I have an ECi IO-370 that I just put in my RV-7. I opted for 8.5:1 pistons instead of 9.0:1, so it's in the 198 HP range instead of 205. Easier on the prop with the lower compression, still ample power. Seemed like a good compromise to me, and wasn't too much more expensive than an IO-360.

Aerosport will make any compression you want. I had (#4, sold) an O-375, 9:1, running mogas. Definitely stronger than a 360.

John Siebold

Back