What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine power settings with BA prop

Smilin' Jack

Well Known Member
I am using a Superior Engine that Carlus Gann of Gann Aviations let me help assemble, with a superior cold air sump. He had the engine parts balanced, ported and matched. The engine will likely be a very strong IO360.. If it produced more than 180 hp I figure that I should probably use the restrictions imposed by Hartzell on the blended Airfoil prop 72". That being stated the restrictions are no continuous above 24 in Mp and 2350 to 2550 RPM.
During take off after using max power what settings do you use for climb and when do you go to those settings?
Called hartzell and they said that since we would probably a smoother engine than a stock Lycoming it might not be a problem but they have only tested certified IO 360's. no superior or ECI engines or any other experimental kit engine manufacture.

When I used to fly CS props I'd reduce to 25 square slowly about 500 AGL and use that setting until I got to cruise alt. but this is not going to work if I impose restrictions that Hartzell recommends for engines developing more than 180 hp.

What do you use?
Jack

Last edited:
Unless you upped the compression or are running some crazy advance ignition I'd treat it as a certified engine.

Good luck with that first flight. Carlus builds some good engines.

...When I used to fly CS props I'd reduce to 25 square slowly about 500 AGL and use that setting until I got to cruise alt....

What do you use?
Jack

Assuming cross country flight, I run WOT from TO to letdown. The prop gets pulled back to 25-2600 about 500 AGL, and 2350-2400 at top of climb. Since I live out west, TOC is almost always 7500 or higher.

200HP/BA.

Last edited:
Michael,

Which blades do you have as I think the newer style has different restrictions for 200HP?

If you are suggesting it might be a healthy 180HP, then it sounds to me like standard compressions, and in that case there is no limits for the new BA series props that I am aware of.

In which case, WOT/2700 and lean in the climb to a target EGT. Only drop some RPM for noise abatement and once through 1500AGL go back to 2700.

In the cruise, LOP ops is healthier, for Aero's and any ops requiring full range of throttle use and wanting every pony you can ROP ops are preferred.

Any questions please go ahead, but first do some research on what the actual limitations are, not perceived or hangar talk ones.

They are nice props BTW. :)

ECi IO-370

I emailed Hartzell to ask about restrictions with this prop and the ECi IO-370. They gave me the same restriction that's been posted above: Continuous operation is prohibited above 24? manifold pressure between 2350-2550 RPM.

Thanks for all the replies, I am running the recommended Van's Blended Airfoil prop 72" diameter. Te engine has standard pistons, 8.5 :1 compression

Jack

Back