What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

iPad GPS

PilotRPI

I'm interested in purchasing an iPad with internal GPS for use in both an RV7 and a high wing metal plane (C172/150). I assume the internal GPS is fine in the RV7 due to the glass above. Have any of you used one in a metal high wing plane with acceptable tracking?

Thanks!

iPads

I have a an iPad G1 with wifi (and therefore GPS) that I use in a C177, PA28, PA32 and the like.

Question becomes what do you want it for? If it's for charts and weather via the phone connection it works fine.

The longstanding opinion is that for position information your better off with a Bad Elf or some other standalone GPS receiver.

I'm a bit of a kook about this. I often fly with FIVE GPS on board: G430 in the dash, GPSMAP496 on the passenger yoke, iPad (running Garmin Pilot), Android (also Garmin Pilot), and the Garmin D2 watch on my wrist.

Good news is I've never gotten lost!

I've never seen a difference between the 430 and 496. The others can be slightly off but not enough to worry about for VFR.

For right now, it would be my VFR primary GPS, so I would like it for position data. Plan on starting the IFR in the near future, so would like it for that as well. Right now, just have two VORs. Once the RV is complete, I'll have moving map in the EFIS, so it would just be a backup.

The internal GPS sounds nice for simplicity, but don't mind going wifi only + external GPS if it is that much better.

My most recent primary student had an iPad with internal gps that he kept in his lap. I never saw it lose the gps position although I didn't really look at it that much and I didn't let him look at it that much either! Cessna 152.

Ive had no problem with the iPads with the builtins GPS (eg the 3G & 4G versions). I've used them in a Cherokee (and accidentally in an "alumi-tube"). I use it in my truck too.

The accuracy has been very good and the convenience of just one piece is easiest for me.

Go with iFly GPS (Adventure Pilot) Biggest bang for the buck and you can see it in the sun. I haven't bought a sectional in years.
Cheers

I have a first gen iPad that has the internal gps. It's my primary gps. I run WingX on it and it's fine in my Cessna 180. If I'm alone and the sun angle is wrong, I'll place it in the passenger footwell. I can still see it and it maintains signal.

It's lost signal twice on me, both times on trips. My backup gps, an obsolete aviation handheld unit, did not lose signal. In both cases I rebooted the iPad and it worked normally after that. I start from a fresh boot so that hasn't been the cause of any signal loss.

Bottom line, it ain't perfect but it's darn near.

Dave

IPad gps is good

I fly 747 for a living, and I use my iPad mini with a mapping software in flight (wifi and bluetooh off). In that environement I'm surrounded by thick metal and thick heated windshields and the internal gps takes a bit of time to "find" the gps signal in the cockpit, but once locked it works just fine, even at 500kts groundspeed. So I'm guessing it should work just fine in any light plane, metal or plastic... Works very well when I fly light planes with Air Nav Pro.
I don't think any external gps sensor is necessary unless you want to use it in IFR, and then it's up to regulations to say if you can do that legally or not.
Alain.

The simple answer is, yes, it will work fine in a Cessna 150/172. If it doesn't, an external gps source is less than $100.

I use an iPad with WingX and the internal gps is fine (in a Cessna). That said, I also have an external gps with ADS-B, and the external is more accurate, acquires faster, and is more reliable, so I definitely prefer to go with it rather than without, but the internal does the job well enough. HTH

Tim

Internal sounds like it should work. And Tmobile will give you 200 free MB a month. That's enough for me to check weather at airports that might not have wifi.

Later if I go IFR and want this as a backup, I'll spring for an ADSB.

I have never had a problem getting a gps signal with my iPad mini internal gps.

The problem seeing it in bright light has been solved with with glasses made with gradient tint, clear on the bottom. Actually they are great for all the time sunglass needs. :cool:

Enjoy your flying. I feel the iPad is the best bang for the buck.
P1010404.jpg

iPad & portable GPS

I use an iPad mini with the Garmin GLO portable GPS unit via Bluetooth and Garmin Pilot software. I really like the $99 GLO portable. Its charge lasts longer than my iPad mini and GLO gives you both GPS and GLONASS satelites for position. I just toss it up onto the spam-can's glareshield near a vent (keep it cool because its black plastic) and use the black rubber base supplied with the unit to keep it in place.

Back