What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Main gear mounting bolts

Zuldarin

Well Known Member
Greetings, I am getting ready to ream the main gear mounting bolt holes to .311. I have read numerous posts about using a taper pin on the nose gear, which I plan to do, but I haven't read anything about the main gear. Is it recommended for the main gear or should I use the standard Bolt as outlined in the plans?

Thanks for the advice!

Darin

Darin,

There is little to no conversation on this board about taper pinning the main gear. There is some conversation about reaming vs drilling and also using close tolerance bolts. Use the search feature and read up.

I'll be forthright and tell you that I did pin all three of my gear. I think I am one of the few if not the only one. I am also one of the few that had a LOT of trouble with the reams. I got it done and I'm happy but it cost a considerable amount of change to do it. So... with that, I cannot recommend it since there are plenty of RVs flying with cylindrical bolts in the main gear

Nas bolts & the right reamers!

NAS6605-29 for normal installation with an all metal lock nut.

If your legs are loose we have the right reamer
and the oversize NAS6605-29x (1/64) oversize

We have many hardware solutions.

Last edited:
Many Thanks

Thanks for the responses guys. I did do a lot of searching and I found lots of nose gear taper pin discussions but little to nothing on the main gear. You have answered my question. :)

NAS6605-29 for normal installation with an all metal lock nut.

If your legs are loose we have the right reamer
and the oversize NAS6606-29x (1/64) oversize

We have many hardware solutions.

After I used a generic "5/16" reamer, I got to use GAHCO oversize bolts for all 3 gear legs. I used their awesome piloted reamer. Very solid tight fit of all 3 bolts. I used the reamer in my slow turning angle drill with lots of boelube. I let the piloted reamer push out a regular bolt. When it was all done, I had to drive the oversize bolts in. Don't think they'll ever loosen.

Main gear

Nice website Darin clean work. You are almost there

Thanks Vlad, I maintain it mostly for my friends and family but thought maybe somebody here might be interested.

I appreciate the info IowaRV9Dreamer! I already have the .31 reamer for the gear legs and I have a taper pin reamer for the nose gear which is what prompted the request for info. Its nice to know that there are options!

Darin

After I used a generic "5/16" reamer, I got to use GAHCO oversize bolts for all 3 gear legs. I used their awesome piloted reamer. Very solid tight fit of all 3 bolts. I used the reamer in my slow turning angle drill with lots of boelube. I let the piloted reamer push out a regular bolt. When it was all done, I had to drive the oversize bolts in. Don't think they'll ever loosen.

Sorry I was tired yesterday.

The correct 1st oversize is NAS6605-29x (.016)

Also I have times sold NAS6605-29y (.0325)

And various other over sizes.

I hope this helps.

Back