What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

advice on installing the roll servo ( Dynon )

scott rv-4

I'm New Here
I am upgrading the avionics in my RV-4 with a dynon skyview system with auto pilot. I would appreciate any advice anyone has on where to mount the roll servo. ( wing I suppose ) any tricks for mounting or pulling the wire in? thanks

I mounted mine in the fuselage by fabricating a couple of brackets.

IMG_0005.JPG

The pushrod attaches to a tab riveted to the torque tube, near the aft stick attach.

20110420_0176.JPG

The geometry of the pushrod, servo and tab is illustrated here: Update: the position of the bottom hole of the tab is determined by rotating the servo between full left and right positions (with the limit guard in place). Measure the travel length of the pushrod and match that with the travel of the torque tube between full left and right positions with the ailerons rigged. Ensure that the servo never hits the limits on full aileron deflection. The extra holes allow for sensitivity adjustment.

roll_servo_attach.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics Vern, I will look at that option this afternoon. Does your plane have the recessed footwells for the rear passenger?? Mine does, will that be a problem?

Thanks for the pics Vern, I will look at that option this afternoon. Does your plane have the recessed footwells for the rear passenger?? Mine does, will that be a problem?

Yes.
No.

Mine is an HRII, so I have a couple of extra inches. The servo mounts to the aft spar carry through, so you should have enough room.

The torque tube picture shows the aft stick attach.

V

RV4 pics is needed

I have a Dynon servo installed in an RV4. It is installed in the fuselage as well. I can send along picures if you think they will help. Shoot me a PM or email if you like.

Mark

Another option

You can put the servo under the fwd floor - either side. Use a pc of .062 angle attached to the BOTTOM of the fwd area of the torque tube as the attachment; you can use Vern's offset example, but lengthen it a bit, as required. Strengthen the belly skin as required to take the loads - they are significant.

The wire pull is easier this way!:D

Carry on!
Mark

Back