What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tip-up canopy building table

Robert M

Well Known Member
I'm about to start measuring and cutting the canopy for a tip-up RV-9. I've seen/read (can't remember when or where) that some individuals placed the canopy on a custom made table with raised edges to make the measurements and cuts. Anybody know what those measurements are? I was thinking 6 foot long by 44" wide. Will that do?

Thanks,

I used the 2 Finish Kit crate end pieces (they are the correct width), some scrap 1x material clamped on the edges and placed on saw horses.

You can sort of see it in this picture.

IMG2717-M.jpg

It worked fine for holding the bubble during cutting. It was not easy to move around. I had to move it in and out of the garage so the sunshine could warm up the plexi before cutting.

Here is another picture, prior to the cut. The small piece of foam in the center was used to cushion the bubble when it was flipped over for better access for trimming the sides.

IMG2475-M.jpg

Last edited:
Canopy support

I just cut mine two seeks ago. I used the top from the finish kit crate and just screwed in four pieces of 1x2 along the outside canopy edges. Two in front and two in back (in front of and behind the "big cut" line). As flexible as the canopy is, I do not think it really matters on an exact dimension for the edge supports, just that something is there to support them to keep movement from taking place on the big cut.

I also ran a space heater blowing heated air under the canopy prior to cutting which seemed to work well.

Good luck!

Back