What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tire pressure

Tire pressure 7A

45 psi on the nose and mains seems to work well with never a flat- nearly always on pavement. Just one short period of minor shake on the mains at perhaps 15-20 mph on rollout.

Jim Diehl 7A

45 psi on the nose and mains seems to work well with never a flat- nearly always on pavement. Just one short period of minor shake on the mains at perhaps 15-20 mph on rollout.

Jim Diehl 7A

Seconded. I run 45 all around with absolutely no issues.

Chris

I found my main gear shimmied when tire pressure was over 35lbs. I keep them between 25-30lb and no more shimmy.

Nose wheel 35 lb.

I should add, my main tires are 380x150x5 and nose tire is 500x5. (Bigger than usual) That may account for needing lower pressures.

Bevan

Last edited:
Anywhere between 40-45 psi has worked fine for me on nearly 100% of landings done on paved runways. I check the inflation every 3 months and usually have to add a few pounds.

Desser advised never less than 50psi on mains (RV6A).

go here at Dresser web site for tire pressure chart: https://www.desser.com/content/pressure_chart.asp

You likely notice in Desser's chart that it is a one pressure for all aircraft, recommendation. Not very practical considering aircraft using the listed tires have a wide range of max. gross weights. (in fact they say refer to owners manual for factory recommendations).

The question was rather generic, just asking about "A" models, I would only recommend 50 PSI for an RV-14A (gross weight of 2050)

I'm 95% on pavement in my -7A. I've used 50 psi in main tires and 40 psi in nose tire for several years without any issues. Nose tire is checked monthly and mains every other month. Michelin tubes on the mains hold air much better than the Leakguard tubes I used previously.

Back