What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Advice: Mag Coupling fell into Accessory Case

N319BC

As the title says, I was doing some work on my left magneto, and one of the rubber couplings fell into the accessory case :mad:. This happened just after an oil change do the oil is fresh and clean. (the two issues are not related, I just wanted to state that the oil is clean, Zero hours).

Is there an easy way to locate and retrieve the coupling without removing the accessory case? Will I be able to see the coupling floating in the oil? If I drain the oil will it come out through the drain?

Engine: Lycoming IO-540-C4B5

Anyone have any advice and/or recommendations. Frustrated beyond belief.

Thanks

john

Rob,

Thanks for the link. Glad to see that I wasn't the only one. :D
I've got the grabber tool with a light and a lighted boroscope on the way too. If all else fails, I will remove the case.
Hoping for the best.

john

Also see follow up to other thread here:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=148864&page=2

Unless your engine isn't mounted yet, removing the accessory case is a real pain in the arse. You are far better off removing the sump, although that's not a lot of fun either. But before going there, if you don't have any success with the grabber tool, try draining your oil and rigging up a piece of small diameter flexible tubing to the end of a shop vac hose and fish around through the accessory case into the sump. An hour of effort here has the potential to save you a lot of time and aggravation. Been there done that.

Erich

Back