What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatic prop??

Superman1s

Does anyone know if it's okay to have an aerobatic prop on an RV7? Prop came from a Christen Eagle. Engine 200hp IO360. Due to the extra weight of the prop, the battery is located behind the luggage compartment. Please advise

Most aerobatic props fail to full coarse instead of full fine like a normal CS prop. I would advise against it if aerobatics isn't your primary mission.. But double check the model of the prop and its failure mode first...

Normal operations would not be a problem either way. I believe the difference is if the engine loses oil pressure or fails completely. A regular prop will go to fine pitch as to keep the engine turning in a restart attempt. The aerobatic prop will go to coarse (high) pitch in an attempt to reduce drag, as to not upset a particular maneuver that you may be in the middle of. I'm sure that aerobatic prop is stronger as well for obvious reasons. Just buy it Todd!:D

I think if you use this prop it will require a different Governor as well. just a heads up. Larry

Another big advantage of the aerobatic prop is that with a momentary loss of oil pressure during aggressive maneuvering, you are protected from an engine over-speed. A regular prop would start to go to fine pitch with loss of oil pressure, and if you have power on, you could damage the engine with an RPM excursion. And unlike a prop for a twin, it will not feather, so even in course pitch, you can still get some thrust out of it with a governor failure.

Back