What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Access panels - a review

sahrens

Well Known Member
I have been considering installing panels forward of my canopy to give me access to the avionics shelf that is forward of the sub-panel. Someone posted a link to Race Consulting; a builder who primarily makes parts for Zenith Aircraft but also makes access panels for RV-7s.

http://www.mrrace.com/products/index.htm

I am not associated with this company, just a customer with a review if you are considering adding access panels in the same area.

The product comes with panels CNC'd from 6061-T6, a doubler and the associated rivets and screws. The nutplates for the panel screws were already installed in the doubler.

The installation is relatively easy for any builder on this site but the kit does come with instructions. I doubt anyone here would really need them. The instructions cover installation with a removed skin and as a retro-installation when the skin is already riveted in place. The process is easy; layout and mark the location for the opening, cut to size and then install the doubler. The fit into the skin is really up to the builder, I took a lot of time working on the edges to ensure they straight. I had access to and used a rotary punch for the corners which helped.

Here are two images of the finished project

Fuselage20765_zpskdgvkgwg.jpg

Fuselage20766_zpscloehoo5.jpg

If you are interested you can find a more detailed description of my install process in my build log at: http://www.mykitlog.com/sdahrens/

Last edited:
I took it 2 steps farther.

Added 2 more access panels on the lower levels too.

When I pull my EFIS out of the panel, I have an 11 inch diagonal hole through which I can see and access everthing behind my panel.

Too bad these things are 6061-T6. That stuff is not as strong as the 2024-T3 that the airplane is designed with. These are unacceptable, at least without engineering support from Van's.

You can use these as patterns and make proper ones from 2024-T3. Van's sells 2024-T3 and so do other vendors.

Some aircraft kit companies do design their aircraft from 6061-T6 because it's considerably cheaper than 2024-T3, and accept the extra weight that comes from the weaker 6061-T6. Van's does not.

Dave

Fabricating new access panels out of 2024-T3 is not a significant task. Race Consulting will fabricate the panels in 2024-T3 if the buyer so desires. It is always good to hear other opinions.

Scott

Last edited:
The look

After discussing the access panels with a couple people that put them in, I chose not to do it on either 7 I've built. There are several reasons.

1) Unless you tactically mount stuff within reach of the access panel they actually provide very little access.

2) Your range of sight inside the panels is very limited as is the ability to actually do anything.

3) Personal opinion here, but I just don't like the looks. One of the things that really make the RV look sharp is the clean line from the canopy to the spinner.

4) No matter how good it appears to be sealed, there is still a potential that you'll be getting your feet dripped on.

My second 7 is a Slider. I completely reworked the sub panel and cut most of it away. I made doublers and other pieces to strengthen the sub panel. The end result was a piece that is much more rigid than the stock version. I have dual screen AFS units. Removal of them allows access all the way to the firewall.

A lot of planning went into the process. Virtually everything is accessible with the screens removed. Before the forward skin goes on I'll take detailed photos of the everything as reference.

I thought about this when I installed the electrical stuff, everything including EFII computers and O2 comp, 3 map sensors fuse blocks com, EMS, junction blocks, are on the sub panel, everything is accessible with the Dynon screens removed. However..... last weekend just installed the wing bolts in my 7a......now I don't see a any problem going under the panel.......after 12 hrs playing with CT bolts and nuts under there....:rolleyes:

Back