What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH and older pilots

David-aviator

Well Known Member
I have been EAA member since 1979 and have not missed many trips to annual convention, sometimes flying, sometimes driving. The airplanes and people light my fire every year.

What is becoming an issue is getting around, there is so much to see over a large area.

This year I invited a brother, retired USAF and American Airlines mechanic, to come along, he had never been to the annual gathering. He has had trouble walking so I reserved an electric scooter available just outside the main entrance. He was a little shy about needing wheels but as soon as he was familiar with the little 4 wheel unit, he moved right out and enjoyed it. I walked along with him.

Years ago I could walk OSH for several days and not be the worse for it. But now at age 77, I was beat by 1pm. The iPhone health meter recorded 6.5 miles that morning and my battery was low. So I bit the bullet and returned to the main gate and rented a scooter for myself. What a blast, it saved the day! We drove all over the place, down to ultra lights and watched the airshow.

l noticed there much younger guys doing likewise, it sure beats walking and not being able to see all there is to see in a short time. My brother commented, real pilots do not use the scooter but realistic pilots do.

It was a good day except for sleeping accommodations at the dorm. The darn sheets kept coming off the mattress all night. I asked guy at desk if they had sheets that fit the mattress. He said no sheets were all same size, but some mattresses were too big. Several other guys overheard the conversation and laughed, seems like Taylor Hall had a large mattress problem. :)

One notable experience this year was being up front (under B-25 wing) and hearing 101 year old Lt Col. Richard Cole talk about the Doolittle Raid. He is last man alive from the mission and still quite lucid and humorous. He remember lots of details of what happened.

I like the war birds arena presentations. About 5 years ago the #3 German ace from WWII, Gunther Raul was there. Shook his hand, bought his autographed book My Log and couldn't help but notice the missing left thumb shot off in combat. He passed away about 6 months later but at the time walked by himself very erect and was a gentleman to speak with if just briefly.

OSH is OK for young and old, there's something for every one.

David,

I have to admit that I skip over a lot of posts these days, but I never skip yours because there is always something relevant or interesting. I have followed your ups and downs over the years and look forward to meeting you someday.
Maybe next Oshkosh?😀

Best,

Jon

+1 for less vehicles

David,

I too have noticed an increase of motorized vehicles in the grounds at OSH over the years. While I understand the needs of some people dictate the use of a motorized scooter, I am unhappy about the increased numbers of vehicles now populating the grounds.

In years past, it seemed that EAA volunteers and/or employees were usually the ones zooming around in golf carts, and usually, if they had a free seat, they might even stop to offer a ride to someone looking like they could use one. Now, it seems like more and more of those carts are filled with sponsors' friends, families, kids, etc. driving around, mostly empty, rudely swerving around pedestrians and generally clogging up the grounds. I think the tram system has been good for Airventure, and should be expanded, to help people escape the fatigue of walking. However, I think reigning in the number of golf carts and other vehicles on the grounds would make for a better OSH experience for everyone.

I liked the post. The hangar "guy" next to me is of the same vintage and makes Oshkosh every year. He does what he needs to do to make it happen. My hat is off to the guys that drive the scooters! You may never known were they have flown in from, unless you ask.

I saw Dave come down the steps of a KC-135 a few years back. Right then, at that moment, his eyes and his walk said he was 30 years old again.

I saw Dave come down the steps of a KC-135 a few years back. Right then, at that moment, his eyes and his walk said he was 30 years old again.

I like it.

I was thinking about future and 20 years from now how I can get the scooter races on the south end.
My buddy was all over it. We WILL get it done by then.

I am thinking the low flying love seat will not have a chance.

Boomer

You're writings give perspective. I appreciate that you always keep it real and tell it like only you can. Now that you stoked the aviation fire, maybe you could grab some airtime and report back. I'm always inspired by your flight reports and especially appreciate when you scrutinize your landings. I can relate.

Who should have scooters?

I'm glad you were able to use the scooters, as they were intended. However I question if the vendor was only renting to those that really need them. I saw two foreign visitors riding around, looking to be in their 30's and 40's and by all appearance in good health. I understand that thier health issues may not have been apparent that's why I will give them the benefit of the doubt. But it did make me wonder if they understood the scooters were only to be used by those that really needed them and not just for convievence.

After reading your post I had to respond.

Last year when Oshkosh came around, my 87 year old father was staying with us. I offered to take dad with, both to keep him out of my wife's and mom's hair ;-) and to give him a chance to see things I knew he had never seen before. He loves airplanes, but has never followed up with any training
Dad messed up his knee in a fall the year before and was not able to walk more than around the house or short walks outside. I camp in the north 40 every year while I am building on my RV10.
I was apprehensive about how this might work, but recalled seeing a handicapped camping area near the north 40 entrance gate. Perhaps a handicap sign in the plane along with the GAC sign would work. Well to make a long story short it got us the front row seat we needed.

I soon found out that going to any security checkpoint would summon a golf cart ride. So a cart ride to the scooter rental and dad was free to wander at will. I just followed him wherever he wanted to go.

It is a memory that still brings tears of gratitude to my eyes, watching dad cruze around the wing of a beautiful Waco taking pictures and telling me if he could, he would sell his house and buy the plane.
I know the carts can be a pain to walk around, but I would not trade the time with dad for anything, and it would not have been possible without the cart. He still talks about "his trip to Oshkosh". It was the best Oshkosh in 25 years in many unexpected ways.

David,

I too have noticed an increase of motorized vehicles in the grounds at OSH over the years. While I understand the needs of some people dictate the use of a motorized scooter, I am unhappy about the increased numbers of vehicles now populating the grounds.

In years past, it seemed that EAA volunteers and/or employees were usually the ones zooming around in golf carts, and usually, if they had a free seat, they might even stop to offer a ride to someone looking like they could use one. Now, it seems like more and more of those carts are filled with sponsors' friends, families, kids, etc. driving around, mostly empty, rudely swerving around pedestrians and generally clogging up the grounds. I think the tram system has been good for Airventure, and should be expanded, to help people escape the fatigue of walking. However, I think reigning in the number of golf carts and other vehicles on the grounds would make for a better OSH experience for everyone.

I agree 100 percent. I walk through the planes and get my feet sopping wet going from A to B, but it's better than dodging all that traffic on any paved surface. I'm referring to cars, gators, 4 wheelers......not scooters. I think those are great for those that can't walk the distance.

Last edited:
Good Post David,

For my wife's first show - SnF - I got her a scooter, it was great, we got to walk at normal speed and she got to see all there was to see, even off in the distance. I even used it some!

I am a nickel behind you but after 3 days, it is a struggle to traverse at OSH and get back and forth to Scholler. I rode my bike in 2 yrs ago and it was wonderful to hit the dispersed key sites in a day and not be dragging. Three hours to roll the entire RV flight line, was priceless. Silence, low mass and maneuverability made the bike a lessor hazard to pedestrians.

In 10 yrs what will the place look like?

Back