What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's the history of the checkered rudder?

David_Nelson

Well Known Member
A neighbor from across the street asked if there was any particular history to the checkered rudder. Good question. What say you all?

Wild guessing - - -

Heard at speed trials in the old days,

#1 - look at that rudder flap

#2 - yeah it flaps just like the checkered flag - hahaha

#1 - maybe they should just paint it to look like a checkered flag heihei.

Honestly have no clue, but maybe a real historian will tell us.

Now - why is a checkered flag at the end of races used?

It has nothing to do with speed!

Sorry, but you guys are wrong on this feature.

A checkerboard rudder simply makes the airplane aerobatic.

One good example is the C-150 vs. C-150 Aerobat. Compare the rudders.

Awesome! :D

BRB - Going to checker my 10's rudder...

Wild guessing - - -

Heard at speed trials in the old days,

#1 - look at that rudder flap

#2 - yeah it flaps just like the checkered flag - hahaha

#1 - maybe they should just paint it to look like a checkered flag heihei.

Honestly have no clue, but maybe a real historian will tell us.

Now - why is a checkered flag at the end of races used?

Thank the French... :)

What is the origin of the black-and-white-checkered flag and why is it used to signal the end of an automobile race?"

Not only can it be traced to the very beginning of motorsports, it apparently came into use in bicycle racing in France sometime in the 1860s, some 20 years before there was any such thing as an automobile.

Im pretty sure that a checkered rudder is the equivalent of a black leather jacket, jeans, and a pack of smokes rolled up in the sleeve. It's just cool!

Do I need to put the pattern in the seats too?

Just don't get carried away and checker the entire airplane, or it'll exceed Vne just off-idle.

Just don't get carried away and checker the entire airplane, or it'll exceed Vne just off-idle.

You mean like this one?
Checkerbird.jpg

Yes, this was once mine. And I flew it like this for half a decade.
(was repainted later to a more normal paint scheme)
(and I still have that green and orange tent :D )

441 squadron

A neighbor from across the street asked if there was any particular history to the checkered rudder. Good question. What say you all?

The checkered rudder is (or was until the squadron was mothballed) the colors of the canadian Cold Lake Alberta based 441 CF-18 squadron.

If I remember correctly the squadrons origins in number and name sake go back to a WWII canadian fighter squadron.

A more complete history here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/441_Tactical_Fighter_Squadron

Regards
F1R

Last edited:
You mean like this one?
Checkerbird.jpg

So YOU'RE the 'formation line up guy' they use for those 49 ship NLF flybys! Just like the crazy painted bombers they used in WWII to get all the B-17s and 24s lined up properly before heading to Germany. :D

The checkered rudder is (or was until the squadron was mothballed) the colors of the canadian Cold Lake Alberta based 441 CF-18 squadron.

If I remember correctly the squadrons origins in number and name sake go back to a WWII canadian fighter squadron.

A more complete history here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/441_Tactical_Fighter_Squadron

Regards
F1R

If you see a photo of a CF 18 Hornet with checkered V stabs , most likely it was from 441 Tactical Fighter Squadron, Cold Lake Alberta.
https://youtu.be/qOHTx_LPCmA?t=1m20s

Last edited:
Earlier

You mean like this one?
Checkerbird.jpg

Or even earlier - one of the 94th Aero Squadron SPADs in 1919 -

spad13_94-donaldson.jpg

spad13_94-donaldson-top_tn.jpg

During early 1919 the pilots of the 94th Aero Sqd decided to paint their SPAD XIIIs. In an attempt to outdo one another they came up with what were termed the "showbirds".

The origin of the checker pattern dates back to before 1500BC and can be seen throughout art and design.

For its military origin, it was the basis of real-life military formations in Ancient Rome (allowed two rows of infentry to attack at the same time without friendly fire accidents). This led to it being used on military crests, which led to it to be used on the tails of WW1 aircraft. Particularly the German aircraft. This allowed quick identification of friend or foe. (Again to prevent friendly fire accidents)

Yeah, um, that is the history. (All is true, I just strung the logic together :) )

Back