What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Adding constant speed Prop/ governor spacing

Anybody out there have problems with enough room for a prop governor on an RV6A. Seems I have a little over 5 1/2 inches from gear drive to firewall. The Woodward is 6 1/2 inches at its smallest position (closed). This is on and O360 A1A. Thanks in advance

I was looking at the Jiho Stroj governor P920-028/A it measures only 5 1/8 inch at its longest as an option but want to make sure it will work before purchasing. I own a Woodward Want to explore all my options before spending another 1400

If your firewall has the recess shown in the link in post #2, then any governor appropriate from the propeller you would likely install and built within the past 20 years or so should work.

Recess in firewall

IF you have an older RV-6, then it might not have the governor recess in the firewall. It can be installed but it's a job and you will have to remove the engine and engine mount to accomplish this task. Also, if the builder routed anything through the firewall in this area, you will have to move it to another location. The installation of a constant speed takes several things
1: Getting a recess in the firewall and the installation of the prop governor and drive.
2: Getting the correct oil line from the governor pad up to the front of the engine and attach it to the oil boss on the right side of the front case.
3: Modify your baffling to allow the oil line to pass through it.
4: Remove the front plug in your crankshaft and make sure you have the oil tube in your crankshaft. You need to make sure the back plug does not have a hole punched in it so the oil does bleed out. This is done on fixed pitched engines so the oil has somewhere to go.
5: Install the correct prop governor cable and bracket on the governor.
6: When you install your prop, you have to make sure your spacing on your spinner to cowl is correct. Some people with the older cowls will have to get a spacer from Saber Mtg. to make it fit correct.
7: You will have to make a new spinner because it mounts differently than a fixed pitch prop. Also the hole cut outs for the blades need to account for full movement of the blades from fine pitch to coarse.
8: Weight and balance will need to be redone as the constant speed adds about 20-25 lbs in weight, unless you get a MTV prop or Whirlwind, then maybe only 10-15lbs.

Hope this helps you out...

PCU500X Governor Option

We (American Propeller) have sold literally hundreds of PCU5000X governors for the RV series.

This unit is quite a bit shorter then the Woodward line of governors and an average of 3.5 lbs. lighter. With this unit a recess or fox hole is not required and is cost effective, not only new, but the average overhaul cost when its required is quite a bit more reasonable then other governors.

Back