What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dedicated audio control panel

I'm doing the electrical system on my RV8 and I would like to hear some thoughts about whether I need to install a dedicated audio control panel. I have a Garmin GTR 200 radio that has an intercom and even has an input for music. I decided long ago not to turn it into a 747 and am trying to keep the weight and complexity down. Am I missing something here? Does anybody have any experience with these built in intercoms?

I'm doing the electrical system on my RV8 and I would like to hear some thoughts about whether I need to install a dedicated audio control panel. I have a Garmin GTR 200 radio that has an intercom and even has an input for music. I decided long ago not to turn it into a 747 and am trying to keep the weight and complexity down. Am I missing something here? Does anybody have any experience with these built in intercoms?

I just went through something similar last month. My first question, is that intercom stereo or mono? Just 10 years ago that wasn't important (my intercom is mono) but today you'll miss out on some things available now and in the near future if you don't have stereo and Bluetooth.

These were my options:
I had to either replace my mono intercom with a stereo one
Buy an adapter to make it stereo
Buy an adapter to add Bluetooth
Buy a current audio panel

I just added a audio mixer and was done but you might want to give it just a little more though since you have time.

I am doing my panel now and I do have an intercom panel. Dynon says this panel has stereo. I don't want to hack a intercom panel by myself with my limited knowledge. The instructions help a lot

Fantastic Intercom👍

The intercom IS stereo, and is excellent! If you need more than 2-place OR plan to have more than 1 com radio, then I would add an audio panel. Otherwise the GTR-200 with internal intercom fits the bill for an RV-8 single com install. You could get the GTR-200B version too if you want Bluetooth.

Stereo

Yes, it?s stereo and crystal clear. The auto squelch is wonderful as well, not to mention the standby frequency monitoring.
I use one for IFR flying and don?t really need a second radio.

Back