What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Handle at right canopy to ease opening

8 Builder

Many have said that to make opening the RV-8 canopy easier to open from the outside, they have installed a handle at the rear of the canopy to pull up and back on. My canopy was recently finished and when I try to open the canopy while sitting in the plane, I find it hard to start to open due to the twisting of the canopy as you pull only on one side. While checking out the RV-8's at OSH last year; I noticed a few with a handle on the right side of the canopy so that the pilot can pull on both sides when opening. Anyone know how this is attached to an already built canopy? TIG?

Thanks,

I just use the frame. Open the handle, then move left and right hands to the frame and pull aft. I did install a brushed nickel drawer pull from the hardware store on the aft end of the skirt to open from outside the plane. Both techniques work like a champ for me. But then, I don’t know how to weld either.

Thanks clam. The next time I put the canopy on I will try your technique. Definitely thinking of installing the rear skirt handle.

An idea I got from another builder suggested two of those tire pressure inspection spring loaded round doors installed on the back. I can open by putting one or two fingers in and pulling on the frame. I did this to avoid a handle and as my canopy fairing is only held on by the fiberglass, it puts less stress on things. Besides, I like the way it looks. With respect to opening from inside, the frame offers plenty of grip points after unlocking.

Many have said that to make opening the RV-8 canopy easier to open from the outside, they have installed a handle at the rear of the canopy to pull up and back on. My canopy was recently finished and when I try to open the canopy while sitting in the plane, I find it hard to start to open due to the twisting of the canopy as you pull only on one side. While checking out the RV-8's at OSH last year; I noticed a few with a handle on the right side of the canopy so that the pilot can pull on both sides when opening. Anyone know how this is attached to an already built canopy? TIG?

Thanks,

Goign back to what I think is the original question (opening symmetrically from inside), I noticed this morning what I do - I do it so automatically, I had to fly the airplane to figure it out). There is a lightening hole on the canopy frame on the right side, and I just hook my finger in it at the same time I pull back on the handle on the left side. Nothing to add, and its worked for almost 2,000 hours and 15 years.....

Paul

An idea I got from another builder suggested two of those tire pressure inspection spring loaded round doors installed on the back. I can open by putting one or two fingers in and pulling on the frame. I did this to avoid a handle and as my canopy fairing is only held on by the fiberglass, it puts less stress on things. Besides, I like the way it looks. With respect to opening from inside, the frame offers plenty of grip points after unlocking.

Could you post a picture of your doors?

Now I have to go to the hangar just to see how I open my canopy from inside because I've never thought about it :)

From the outside I just pull the handle back and it opens, no need to pull op on the rear or even look in that direction.

nDsGAXnnhKnSh1EeBZb1ftB_s9PDGfEq3EPPDXP9ftxj4ylSQroWkLDwZW5S2_f5ymABdgrAhl4aF1GiR4HOyzB9YZUttPOfFrFNiy6qdnEGdaYkVAltDsBajHnhF47KLCbxrQ36ZgsJ9Xs8EysiXH7oPY0v9skatB5Iwc2yOxvpIYAkCEFIDaWZjSZFxbY_cMatm8oBtYY1Qfw1zruQrapZS3cZtR78tFvut0SrCs0WJpb13hXCjTGx3ye4LBqgLXsxrFkjolVJAlXm_7DscA_KxF0Q8nzP57lpSJvNV7Ga8KLurs7cqw0fgoFxw0kaRp4kyu2fAgiYkzMl5TTI6dwoO9bXX178W4PgiSS9vnl6FA-Pp4sdD6CsK9-A31wSbf1SdbP9UPP9HBb7LpRd_uBvDDX3Q9A3nQa51IOH4RR9LrWfSToxnMzut9KtSMoto8G6DCAcAZReiVhjc5EyinREvI-y7cYv1IxUb91glR5mi37AmHZCs7Fo_DfrnyenKabUk6dpaWjzngKBK9iNabfPRpjsbEnRfwjP1gQ87TJ1XeJ2ABNY_M_yr9c3T0tth7f7hsJwQ23BWJIT8gxuecfTVH6Z-qr-QdvW0_-AaRO0fDykOf1IA6LTJxlBkugh87ZxoXcD3ZSm_r1yDfhaYTu85OHnzTciiRtpf9N_JWHXdQaFi4vs_fzBWxqXvw=w703-h937-no

Success x 2

Thanks guys- I have had my canopy back on the plane and have used the Hook my fingers under the skirt method while on the outside and Paul's lightening hole method when on the inside. No engineering needed. KISS. My favorite motto.

Back